You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Crash on Open

I was converting a number of different image formats to jpg and wound up with several (too many?) graphics programs open at the same time.  When I tried to open Affinity Designer, it crashed halfway through opening.  Got the new logo up and the panels flickered a bit then boom!  Gone.  Closed everything else, tried again. Crash.  Repaired permissions. Restarted.  Crash.  Deleted Designer. Downloaded and installed anew.  Crash.  Zapped PRAM.  Crash.   This is part of the crash log sent to Apple.

Any ideas on what I can do next?

post-3503-0-60866100-1440965093_thumb.jpg

I assume you mean caches in my user library?  There is no Affinity caches there or in the system library either?  Am I looking in the wrong place?  Yes, it happened to Affinity Designer with nothing else open.  Affinity Photo opens and runs normally.

Download and install DEVONtechnologies' freebie EasyFind (you can download it either from the Mac App Store or directly from the DEVON website here: http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware.html)and use this to get all the files you want to weed out. That way you can pick what you want to send to the Trash and what you will keep. Since you are looking for cache files, I would look to see the files' paths and check out what is included in the cache folder(s).

The search criteria is quite extensive and you can ask for files that are invisible and/or inside Package Contents.

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

iMac 27" 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM

Hmm. Might be easier to clear the cache using another method. I just searched to see what would come up if I needed to do the same thing and there are a lot of hits!   :o

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

I have EasyFind and Invisibility Toggler. I'll try that next.  At the moment, I'm in the early stage of a Secure Empty Trash on the latest Designer download and a few user-library files I found.  This is gonna' take a few minutes.

In the meantime, thanks to both of you guys.  It's a lonesome feeling when a favorite program crashes without warning or explanation.

Did you search for pref files that might be corrupted? Just wondering if that could have something to do with it...

I narrowed down the search and came up with this (see screen capture below)...

post-13400-0-12019700-1440968769_thumb.png

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

I found those and they were either in the previous delete or maybe in the Secure Empty Trash that is still ongoing.  Man, that is slow.  Still got  1,397 items to go.  It's about 2/3 finished.  After that finishes, I'll try another restart and either a new download or a Restore.

Finish that trash delete.  Repaired permissions again.  Restarted again.  Restored from TimeMachine from a week ago.  No joy!  Same old show the logo, pop in the panel labels, crash!  I did run EasyFind and located several Designer and Photo Beta files, which I don't think were the cause of anything but they've now been deleted too.  Ran Invisibility Toggler on the Designer Package contents...no hidden files.  No hidden files anywhere relating to Affinity or Serif.  I'm gonna' give it a rest for a while.  I'm too tired of fooling with it to want to use it right now if I could get it working. :)