You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Individual Icons for psd, raw etc. Files

Hello,

We are currently using the Affinity Photo and Publisher Version in the Test-Mode. They both look very promising. Affinity Photo is the first Program that we found that can handle PSD-Files with Layers and is still able to read / write them. I mean even our "Benchmark" File that is a PSB-File with 2,5 GB Size is handled perfectly. Sure we must fine tune some Elements afterwards but hey 95 % was imported correctly. The last 5 % are only minor details that took 5 Minutes to "change".

Out biggest "Downside" with Affinity Photo is this one:
The Software uses the same Icon for every supported Filetype. Why is there not an Icon for a PSD, a RAW etc. File? That would make the Software nearly perfect. 

Yes I know this is maybe a minor detail, but hey sorry that this is so far the only Downside we found. 

Hallo @Garden-User and welcome to the forums.

The icon displayed in your filing system is an operating system property, although many programs will set their own icon during the installation process. I use Windows 10. It used to be fairly simple in WIndows XP to set up the icon associated with a file type. Microsoft has made this progressively more difficult. I am not sure if it is even possible in WIndows 10, though I expect it is possible through the registry. You might like to look at this site: How to change the Icon for a certain file type in Windows

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hallo @John Rostron thank you for the welcome,

sorry for the late answer. I have worked in the past days alot with the Affinity Products and they work great. 

Regarding your Answer, well I have used / tried to use the Programm, but every time I want to chance an Icon it gives me an Error that says "Error 2: The System can´t find the specified File." The Icon File lays in the Documents Folder next to the Program file. But hey I assume that it is an error in Windows 10 Version 2004... 

Maybe we will get Individual File Icons from the Developer Team soon. I mean the Port to Apple Silicon is not time consuming 😋 and that comes from a Person who don´t use Macs but is very exited to see the new Apple Silicon.