You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Select Object / Select Same Appearances (Request)

Howdy!

In a previous beta thread, there was a mention that if anyone has any requests for the "Select Same / Select Object functionality," it would be up for consideration. Well I have an idea I would like to share, and that idea is the ability to select object "appearances." So here is where I'm getting at. You can add multiple strokes to an existing object, but you have to check off "Scale with object" to each individual appearance if you want to resize. In a previous topic, there was discussion about this. Well seeing how there is this new "Select Object / Select Same" feature, maybe Affinity could incorporate a way to select all stroked appearances of a selected object/group. It would save time from having to go through each appearance.

What do you think?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for. Are you simply wanting a way to select or deselect "scale with object" for each stroke in an object's Appearance panel with a single action?

That seems useful, but as it's all dealing with a single object I don't see it as related to Select Same, whose purpose is to select multiple objects.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for. Are you simply wanting a way to select or deselect "scale with object" for each stroke in an object's Appearance panel with a single action?

That seems useful, but as it's all dealing with a single object I don't see it as related to Select Same, whose purpose is to select multiple objects.

It sounds like you understand correctly.

So if you are to Cmd/Ctrl click an object in a group, and then select each appearance and check/uncheck "Scale with object," then the "Select Same: feature could select all other appearances of that same style.

The reason for this is because when resizing a grouped object with multiple stokes on each, the stroke size does not reserve unless "Scale with object" is selected for each. So I thought this could be a faster way to do it.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.