You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Locking layers, better layer layout

Hi there,

Just wanting to know if this is intended or not, but when you lock layers within a group, but not the group itself, the entire group can still be moved as one object, not just the unlocked layers within it when the group is selected.

Attached is something I'm working on, and as the screenshot shows, the dirt mounts around the tombstone are locked but the tombstone itself is not, but if I select the group in the layers menu, and move the selection it moves everything in the group, not just the tombstone, which I thought it'd only move the unlocked layers in the group.

Secondly, is there a better way to have the 3 layers relating to the ground around the tombstone setup, where I can group them independently of the tombstone but still have the front obstructing the tombstone as necessary... I am only aware of two ways to do the obstructing, firstly how I have done it in the screenshot, and then to make the front ground layer a child object of the tombstone itself. Is there a third option?

I am still very much a newbie to using this software, including any competitor version of the software.

Thanks,

Aussie

Designer_jfJENgA1a6.jpg

Aussie iTV

Windows 10 | Ryzen 9 5900X | RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6

Affinity Designer | Affinity Photo | Affinity Publisher

7 hours ago, AussieGamerGuy92 said:

Just wanting to know if this is intended or not, but when you lock layers within a group, but not the group itself, the entire group can still be moved as one object, not just the unlocked layers within it when the group is selected.

Unfortunately, the concept of "locking" layers is very unusual in Affinity - because it does not protect the contents of the layers from being accidentally deleted/modified/moved, as might be expected and assumed, but only limits the selection of the layer by clicking on the canvas/document.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.