You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

FAQ suggestion: Listing of all file types related to Affinity suite

Hello,

Perhaps I might be the only one looking for this, but I think it would be nice to have a listing of all the Affinity related filetypes / fileformats.
I couldn't find them in the help, on the site or on the forum. So I'm listing what I have found.

• afassets
  • afbrushes
  • afdesign
  • afgrids
  • afmacro
  • afmacros
  • afpalette
  • afphoto
  • afpub
  • afselection
  • afshort
  • afstyles
  • aftemplate
  • aftonemap

Best regards
Ady

From the 1.9 beta:

• .afpackage

@Ady: I'm not sure what you mean by "profile". I'm not aware of that as a filetype, though I suppose you might be referring to .icc or .icm which aren't really Affinity filetypes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the extra info @walt.farrell.
The .profile I listed, is a file extension that could be used to save something. It is not the icc or icm color profiles.
When going to Print, you can click "Save As" there you save those settings with a .profile extension (In all Affinity programs)

Btw: When looking thru the programs again, I also found the following:

Affinity Photo:

• .affinity_liquify_mesh

Affinity Publisher:

• .afpreflightpresets

Edited by Ady

• 6 months later...
On 11/8/2020 at 7:59 PM, Ady said:

When going to Print, you can click "Save As" there you save those settings with a .profile extension (In all Affinity programs)

Hmmm. In the Mac Affinity print dialog there is a Presets > "Save Current Settings as Preset..." item, but when I use it I do not have an option to save it as a separate file nor can I find anywhere on my Mac a file with a *.profile extension. Am I looking in the wrong place for this "Save As" item or is this maybe a Windows-only thing?

BTW, I think afshort is the Windows-only extension for keyboard shortcuts. Since Windows & Mac have different keys (notably, no CMD key on Windows), the Mac equivalent is affshortcuts.

FWIW, in my topic that you just posted to, I mentioned the aftoolpresets filetype, which is for AP's Procedural Texture presets, accessible via the "Manage Presets..." item in the 'hamburger' menu of the Procedural Texture window.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Hmmm. In the Mac Affinity print dialog there is a Presets > "Save Current Settings as Preset..." item, but when I use it I do not have an option to save it as a separate file nor can I find anywhere on my Mac a file with a *.profile extension. Am I looking in the wrong place for this "Save As" item or is this maybe a Windows-only thing?

On Windows, the .profile file is saved in the Printing folder, a sibling to the User folder. And the Save As is associated with the Profile field:

image.png.60662aa0ce57d71556d6c9bd5c79370d.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

On Windows, the .profile file is saved in the Printing folder, a sibling to the User folder.

I can't find anything equivalent to that on my Mac. In fact, there is no "Save As..." button in the print dialog, just the 'save current' option in the Presets popup menu:

2037146502_printdialog.jpg.95306e2d9e2903390648a8d17465fb0a.jpg

Can you (or anyone else) attach a sample *.profile file here so I can see if I can open it on my Mac?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Can you (or anyone else) attach a sample *.profile file here so I can see if I can open it on my Mac?

Sure, but the Print handling is different enough between Windows and Mac that it's probably not relevant. This one's from the current 1.9.4 Photo beta.

pdf-xchange-lite.profile

-- Walt
PC:

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Sure, but the Print handling is different enough between Windows and Mac that it's probably not relevant.

Yeah, none of my Mac Affinity (or any other) apps knows what to do with that filetype.

Must be windows only.

Affinity Photo