You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone,

I have imported a "DarkMode.clr" palette/swatch into affinity photo and would like to export / save it as 'DarkMode.afpalette". Whenever I export the palette/swatch, it automatically exports it as a .clr file, as opposed to .afpalette.

Could someone please explain how I save it as an Affinity specific palette/swatch file.

(macOS Catalina)

Thank you all in advance.

High-End Photographic Prints

34 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

Could someone please explain how I save it as an Affinity specific palette/swatch file.

When in the Swatches panel with the palette you wish to export visible, left click on the icon in the upper right corner and select Export Palette.

397262140_ScreenShot2020-11-07at10_24_59AM.png.65f8ae26f8be3206834f708ab89ea3b1.png

Then a Save window should open with .afpalette as the default.

284034833_ScreenShot2020-11-07at10_25_42AM.png.a9685975924cef5085e8c97d1bfc2cb9.png

This resulted in a file Greys.afpalette being created on my desktop.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Hi,

The save dialogue I see has no file extension added - it just displays the name. When I add .afpalette and then save the file - it saves as DarkMode.afpalette.clr

I just did a test - irrelevant of wether I load in a .afpalette swatch, or a .clr swatch - the export option only saves as .clr???

22 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

The save dialogue I see has no file extension added

Strange, I'm running Sierra.  But I wouldn't think that would change.  I've tried AD, beta AD, and APh all with the same results .afpalette is the default provided.  Sorry I can't help.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

No worries - thank you for trying to help - it's much appreciated.

• Staff
On 11/7/2020 at 4:54 PM, Richard S. said:

I have imported a "DarkMode.clr" palette/swatch into affinity photo and would like to export / save it as 'DarkMode.afpalette". Whenever I export the palette/swatch, it automatically exports it as a .clr file, as opposed to .afpalette.

It looks like we store/import the palettes in the format they created and then when exporting, that format is kept.  The same can be seen with the System Palette, that will want to export as a .clr file and not an afpalette file.  I'm not aware of a way to change this, so unless anyone knows of a method this would make for a good Feature Request or being able to export clr palettes as afpalettes :) 

I'vealso  just done a test with various .clr files in AfPhoto. They all export as plain . afpalette files. (iMac, Mojave)

Have you tried to simply delete the .clr part from the file extension so that you're left with an afpalette file ?

Give it a go and then try if the palette still works normally, e.g. import it again to see if it works.
In any case, make sure you have the " Show all file extensions" option in the Finder>Prefs > Advanced ticked.

11 minutes ago, catlover said:

I'vealso  just done a test with various .clr files in AfPhoto. They all export as plain . afpalette files. (iMac, Mojave)

Did you have them installed as Document, Application, or System palettes in Affinity?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You might try as a System palette, in case that's the issue.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 years later...
On 11/7/2020 at 5:54 PM, Richard S. said:

how I save it as an Affinity specific palette/swatch file

I was just wondering myself while I wanted to copy an updated *.clr as *.afpalette from Mac to iPad.
Turns out the conversion is pretty easy:

1. Temporarily import the *.clr from ~/Library/Colors as a document palette
  2. Export the new document palette

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2