You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mask and Refine, selection, crop problems with bleed

mykee

Hello,

I have a problem with mask from selection: if have bleed, then mask no expanded to bleed area. Just test these steps:

• create a new project with bleed (ex. 5mm)
  • change to Photo Persona
  • place an image what run over bleed (be biggest)
  • duplicate image
  • select a part of top image with Flood select tool
  • click on Refine
  • select Output to Mask
  • change layer mode on top Image and see bleed area! If select mask, then will see mask end at bleed.

This big problem for press, because bleed is a cutting area. I can't change mask.

I found a workaround:

select area on image, but do no press Refine, just select Layer tab -> Mask Layer on top image. If use Refine, bleed will cutted from mask!!!

These tools have problem with bleed too:

• Marquee Tools (all, select any area with bleed, and after selection cropped at bleed)
  • Crop tool (by default not select bleed area)

Please fix these in 1.9 if possible!

• 3 months later...

Problem still not fixed in 1.9

This really gets me down as I always start a job setup for print including 3mm bleed - just seems really daft that you can only make pixel selections, edit layer masks, use quick mask, blah blah blah within the page area - been using the copy paste to a bigger document and back, workaround for years now but it still makes me 🤬 surely we should have got this capability when we were given the ability to rasterise without trimming to the page area which was 1.5 or 1.6 🤯😫😭

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is it a joke? I selected hairs, and under Refine selected New layer with mask. Here is result. Joke. Look at hair, bleed...

image.png.62acef52f574c35e840d637af07fdca5.png

Here is without original image. Nonsense, no ready for print.

image.png.1c8c5b86b933151aa6c13cddc50030d7.png

And here is original:

image.png.3efc2ca159a937bcb1021f0a1b87ab02.png

• 1 month later...

Ok, this bug not fixed in 1.10 versions. I'm a book cover creator, and have problem with bleed area with mask again. I cannot use mask on bleed and have Brightness/contrast problem. Need open a new topic for fix, or when will get a fix for bleed?

Look at girl's leg and hair. And I cannot select or masking the bleed area.

image.thumb.png.19cb457cd4bb1e588b3fc11ddcded2b9.png

image.thumb.png.9d3340b51f10a37ad557033812c8d62a.png

...And if you try to select the images and the adjustements, etc. to paste from clippboard in a new AP document, you get the wrong PPI bug, etc. Last time, I had so many bug impending a 1 page creation that after few hours trying to trick APub, I ended up in another app doing it in 10 minutes.