You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Arrow keys disselect color number (Designer)

Hi,

I've been having this frustrating problem for a long time now. Step by step:

1. I select an object.
2. I select a number field from color palette or color chooser.
3. I shift the number up or down with arrow key or shift + arrow key, and the number goes up as expected.
4. Now the number from the field get disselected, and only the first press of the arrow key changes the number. After that each click moves the object up or down.

This doesn't happen every time, sometimes I can change the color value with arrow keys multiple times in a row, but I can't find any logic to this.

Any ideas? Thanks!

If I have understood your description of the issue correctly, I do not see a problem with it but I do not use that functionality often enough to be able to know if there is an intermittent fault.
If you can tell us which Affinity application you are using, and on which operating system, then people with the same set-up can check to see if it is happening for them too.
My attached video show what happens for me in Designer on Windows 10 (all latest 'normal' releases). If you get something else, or I am not looking at the correct area, then you may need to show us a video of what you are doing.

Thanks for your reply. Looking at the video, I think you understood where the problem is that I'm having. It is difficult to show on a video, since most of the time it works correctly (like in your video), but from time to time the arrow keys only works once (one click), and after that the color field is deselected and further clicks of the arrow keys just move the object up or down. I tried to simulate it just now, but of course now it was working correctly. I will make a video as soon as the problem occures again.

I am using:
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7
Newest "normal" release of Affinity Designer (but the problem has been in earlier versions too)

Thanks for taking the time to get the video; that makes the issue much easier to see.
I don’t use OS X so I can’t add much to this but maybe a Mac user will see this and try it for themselves.
(I’ve just done a quick check with the Colour Chooser dialog, as shown in your video (rather than the Colour Panel as shown in my earlier video), and the fields all work fine in this respect for me using Designer 1.8.5.703 on Windows 10.)

It looks like something is causing the field to lose focus so the focus jumps back to the canvas, meaning that the arrow key starts affecting the canvas rather than the dialog/panel.
I don’t know enough about OS X to say what could be causing this (if that’s what is happening).
It’s more odd that the problem goes away after you have selected the Saturation field.

If it is just your machine then I think the problem may be a lot more difficult to diagnose, however hopefully an OS X user can replicate the issue which might mean that it’s not just your machine.

In the meantime, try checking your OS X Accessibility features (wherever they are) and seeing if there’s anything in there that might have anything even slightly relevant to field focus, or multiple keyboard presses, or anything like that (this is just a wild guess).

Bug dissappearing is random, so I think pressing the saturation field was just a coinsidence. I also think it's not just my machine, since I just got a new laptop a month ago, and my last laptop had the same problem (also mac). I do have mostly the same software installed and the same settings on this machine, so that might play a part maybe.