You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity: Enable hardware by default

Hello,

Enable hardware by default, but restrict it to Windows 10.0.19042 (May 2020), and GPUs that support Direct3D 12 Feature Level 12.0 and above.

What does this improvement do? Thank you for your explanations.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

I use a backup computer that is always a little behind the new version of Windows so as to limit the problems of temporary malfunctions sometimes encountered during system updates. Does this mean that the software will not work on this computer?

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

On 11/7/2020 at 8:34 AM, Pyanepsion said:

Hello,

What does this improvement do? Thank you for your explanations.

it enables GPU acceleration by default, after install, the first start its activated.
Some tasks are multiple times faster than without, to get a glimpse on how much faster it can be, look into the benchmark thread.

I use a slightly older win10 version and the newest beta versions with enabled GPU  acceleration works flawlessly.
Due to the older windows installation, I had to go to the preferences to activate it manually.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

42 minutes ago, myclay said:

I use a slightly older win10 version and the newest beta versions with enabled GPU  acceleration works flawlessly.
Due to the older windows installation, I had to go to the preferences to activate it manually.

According to @Mark Ingram's post on the requirements for using hardward acceleration on Windows, it cannot be enabled unless you're on at least Win10 19041 (May, 2020), and it should be enabled automatically at that level, I think.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/126698-windows-hardware-acceleration-requirements/

Note that even if enabled, it will not be usable unless one of the available GPUs meets additional requirements documented in that post.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

thanks for the valuable information, you are of course right.
minimum Hardware and OS build requirement are met. My confusion must have stemmed from the newer Windows 10 -19042 release which came out a while ago.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.