You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crashing constantly

atefoto

Hello,

I have issues with latest Affinity Photo. I just installed it on Windows 10, latest version.

It randomly crash when using HDR merge, sometimes when using tools in tonemapping, sometimes it crash after 1 second if I select "automatically remove ghosts".

I have tried this so far:

* Reinstall of application

* Reinstall of nVidia driver

* Adding TdrDelay = 8 in regedit

* Changing from GPU to CPU/software in Preferences.

It also crash when editing regular RAW files in tonemapping or randomly when adding adjustment layers. This is driving me nuts.

Please help

Aleksander

Also for me,  the last two days has been a joke!   it does not matter what function i'm using it will stall and enter 'AP is not responding' - leaving me to 'force quit' i'm on MAC OS 
I've deleted the application, reinstalled and still issues. 

I'm on a spec'd out MAC so can't be down to the computer.

I'm a heavy user of this app, never had issues like this before, what the hell is going on?  i have work to do and need a functioning application ! 

Thanks Rick

1 hour ago, Ricky Taylor said:

Also for me,  the last two days has been a joke!   it does not matter what function i'm using it will stall and enter 'AP is not responding' - leaving me to 'force quit' i'm on MAC OS 
I've deleted the application, reinstalled and still issues. 

I'm on a spec'd out MAC so can't be down to the computer.

I'm a heavy user of this app, never had issues like this before, what the hell is going on?  i have work to do and need a functioning application ! 

Thanks Rick

Are you using nVidia card in your Mac? I'm trying to sort out if its OpenGL/CL or whatever else it can be... The problem increases with more GPU intensive operations - in only Affinity Photo. Rest of my apps are fine.

1 hour ago, atefoto said:

Are you using nVidia card in your Mac? I'm trying to sort out if its OpenGL/CL or whatever else it can be... The problem increases with more GPU intensive operations - in only Affinity Photo. Rest of my apps are fine.

Sounds like you're running the current Beta, 834. I can't run it with Hardware Accel active (OpenCL). IF you are running the Beta, either disable hardware acceleration or just don't use the Beta version. There's not any way to set hardware acceleration in the current retail version, that's why I'm thinking your running the Beta.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

20 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

Sounds like you're running the current Beta, 834. I can't run it with Hardware Accel active (OpenCL). IF you are running the Beta, either disable hardware acceleration or just don't use the Beta version. There's not any way to set hardware acceleration in the current retail version, that's why I'm thinking your running the Beta.

I have tried these two in standard version.

image.png.b374822b812ecdeecb76868f3735e881.png

And I have installed and tried BETA too since you mentioned BETA, same crashing there.

8 hours ago, atefoto said:

for a short while i was using a AMD WX7100 eGPU  but stopped as it was running way too slow (i now understand why..).  changed the base preference in AP to only use the internal GPU that comes standard / build in.   two weeks ran fine, until the past few days.   if i use a plugin ''crash' a simple live filter 'crash'  a small file of a few layers 'crash'. - on and on it goes....i'm at a loss as to what is happening.    I consider myself a rather advanced user of the Affinity apps,  and i feel i can confidently state something is whacked on the software side right now,     wondering was there an update?   

So far I've not had any problems with the current retail version.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

3 hours ago, Ricky Taylor said:

for a short while i was using a AMD WX7100 eGPU  but stopped as it was running way too slow (i now understand why..).  changed the base preference in AP to only use the internal GPU that comes standard / build in.   two weeks ran fine, until the past few days.   if i use a plugin ''crash' a simple live filter 'crash'  a small file of a few layers 'crash'. - on and on it goes....i'm at a loss as to what is happening.    I consider myself a rather advanced user of the Affinity apps,  and i feel i can confidently state something is whacked on the software side right now,     wondering was there an update?   

Maybe there was a Windows update, I'm guessing you're on Windows right?

I'm on latest Windows and using nVidia. Fairly new install of OS and system too. I have tried everything from Adobe, Luminar, On1, Exposure X6 and Capture One, but Affinity seem to be the only one having issues.

It crash when I try to stack, doesn't matter RAW or JPEG. If I try to stack then it just exits to desktop.

It also crash randomly using regular filters and tools too, and I don't get a lot of work done before it crash so it is getting useless to open this software.

I'm a novice in Affinity but have years with Adobe. I had to reactivate my subscription just to get some images finished, and it's a bit sad when I hoped to not pay mothly at this time with this little work. If it's not fixed within 29(?) days then I can't abort the subscription again without paying rest the full year. 😕

7 hours ago, atefoto said:

Maybe there was a Windows update, I'm guessing you're on Windows right?

I'm on latest Windows and using nVidia. Fairly new install of OS and system too. I have tried everything from Adobe, Luminar, On1, Exposure X6 and Capture One, but Affinity seem to be the only one having issues.

It crash when I try to stack, doesn't matter RAW or JPEG. If I try to stack then it just exits to desktop.

It also crash randomly using regular filters and tools too, and I don't get a lot of work done before it crash so it is getting useless to open this software.

I'm a novice in Affinity but have years with Adobe. I had to reactivate my subscription just to get some images finished, and it's a bit sad when I hoped to not pay mothly at this time with this little work. If it's not fixed within 29(?) days then I can't abort the subscription again without paying rest the full year. 😕

that does sound very strange!  and i complete understand what you mean about the adobe subscription model, in fact it was because of that very reason i opted for the Affinity range 2 years ago!  -   update, after much tedious testing for half the day today i discovered what the issue was, it was a combination of two things, 1) somehow and for whatever reason the 'depth of field' live filter layer was tripping the project out!  every time i would 'merge visible' it would crash,  funny that was the first time i actually used that tool,   2).  testing on another project (minus the 'depth of field). it would crash every time i would send a pixel layer via plugin to filter forge - it would crash,  easy solution = i'll only use filter forge in standalone mode as it is not worth the hassle, besides it is not that hard to export from AP and import into FF and vice verse. 

Perhaps it would be worth gathering up as much info as you can and email the Affinity guys directly,  because it is definitely an issue that can be resolved,  i say this as i have used the apps pretty much all day every day for 2 years and have never had issues (except for the past two days 😃

Let me know how you go, don't succumb to Adobe... & good luck!

• Staff

@atefoto - You might be seeing the nvwgf2umx.dll crash that we have been seeing. This has been typical with HDR merging or Panorama stitching etc. Do you have Capture One installed?

@Ricky Taylor - This is the Windows forum and you're on a Mac so your issues with be unrelated to what I suspect atefoto is seeing.

If you're crashing or hanging with what sounds like a number of different things, I'd recommend resetting the app:

Mac App Store:
Please go to this location - \Users\username\Library\Containers\com.seriflabs.affinityphoto\ and rename affinityphoto to affinityphoto.old

Affinity Store:
Please go to this location - \Users\username\Library\Application Support\Affinity Photo\ and rename Affinity Photo to Affinity Photo Old

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

@atefoto - You might be seeing the nvwgf2umx.dll crash that we have been seeing. This has been typical with HDR merging or Panorama stitching etc. Do you have Capture One installed?

@Ricky Taylor - This is the Windows forum and you're on a Mac so your issues with be unrelated to what I suspect atefoto is seeing.

If you're crashing or hanging with what sounds like a number of different things, I'd recommend resetting the app:

Mac App Store:
Please go to this location - \Users\username\Library\Containers\com.seriflabs.affinityphoto\ and rename affinityphoto to affinityphoto.old

Affinity Store:
Please go to this location - \Users\username\Library\Application Support\Affinity Photo\ and rename Affinity Photo to Affinity Photo Old

@Chris B Yes, I have Capture One as my daily driver as main RAW converter because of workflow and out of office edits. Does that matter? Are there some files affected by having Capture One installed?

I do notice crashes in other tools too, but it's mainly as you say - when stacking brackets.

@Ricky Taylor Me too, I hate the subscription model. Oh, I guess I have other issues then like @Chris B mentioned above, probably because of my Capture One or whatever. I hope so, I got all the errorlogs but no tool to read it, and lack of care and understanding to do so 😅

Cheers

Aleksander

On 11/9/2020 at 3:41 PM, Chris B said:

Mac App Store:

Affinity Store:

Trying again in case you didn't see it. I'm desperate to get it working.

Yes, I have Capture One as my daily driver as main RAW converter because of workflow and out of office edits. Does that matter? Are there some files affected by having Capture One installed?

I do notice crashes in other tools too, but it's mainly as you say - when stacking brackets.

1 minute ago, Chris B said:

We believe Capture One is calling some Nvidia dlls which are in use which is causing Affinity to crash. As far as I am aware, this is something we cannot fix and it's a problem with their Explorer integration. 

But Capture One isn't running and isn't listed in "task manager", so I find that strange if this is happening. Hm

On 11/19/2020 at 6:24 PM, atefoto said:

But Capture One isn't running and isn't listed in "task manager", so I find that strange if this is happening. Hm

I'm getting exactly the same issues with fairly repeatable crashes when pano stitching; CO isn't running, and this persists after a fresh restart. Latest Affinity, Win10, nVidia Studio driver etc etc.

This is going to be a _really_ major issue for loads of CO-Affinity users who don't want to go down the Adobe route for whatever reason (e.g. Fuji shooters). Basically, we're all going to bale and go for DXO, or whatever...

I have posted an enquiry message on the CO forum support page, quoting selected messages on here, and it's going to be interesting to see what emerges. Like many people, I have a big CO commitment/investment, so we won't be switching from that.

Edited by Mark Farrington
Further information provided

13 hours ago, Mark Farrington said:

I'm getting exactly the same issues with fairly repeatable crashes when pano stitching; CO isn't running, and this persists after a fresh restart. Latest Affinity, Win10, nVidia Studio driver etc etc.

This is going to be a _really_ major issue for loads of CO-Affinity users who don't want to go down the Adobe route for whatever reason (e.g. Fuji shooters). Basically, we're all going to bale and go for DXO, or whatever...

I have posted an enquiry message on the CO forum support page, quoting selected messages on here, and it's going to be interesting to see what emerges. Like many people, I have a big CO commitment/investment, so we won't be switching from that.

Hello, thanks for adding your issue too. It seem like there are more and more having this issue the more I try to find fixes for it, but it's good to know too because there might be a fix sooner or later then. Well, that's what I'm hoping for anyway before I'm forced to keep Adobe for a whole year again.

I can reproduce every time I try stacking, it just crash completely. What's more random is the crashing while using filters and other functions in the program. I can't reproduce that with accuracy.

Yeah, this is already a major issue. I was going to edit a couple shoot's I've done and use the frequency separation and some pano landscapes, but it just crash so much that I had to resubscribe to Adobe again to get Photoshop back on track. For me the DxO isn't enough, I need either Affinity or PS. I need something that works so that people who pay me actually get their product by a reasonable time. I can't sit around waiting for a fix for weeks or months, people would use other photographers then, and it is hard enough right now as it is with this Corona plague.

Good. I hope there will be some answers or help. So far no-one's asked me about logs or anything. If I had problems with any other application (Capture One for instance), the developers would be early asking for those logs to see what happens.

Please keep me updated if you find any hotfix, I'm running out of time before I have to keep Adobe for a whole year. Cheers

Aleksander

At the moment, as this has persisted since v442.xx of the NVIDIA drivers, the only options we have are to use either a integrated GPU as the renderer ...  or WARP if you don't have one.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

Just now, AiDon said:

At the moment, as this has persisted since v442.xx of the NVIDIA drivers, the only options we have are to use either a integrated GPU as the renderer ...  or WARP if you don't have one.

Oh.. :(I have a workstation with 1080 Ti, no integrated GPU. WARP also crash in Affinity.

• Staff
1 hour ago, atefoto said:

Oh.. :(I have a workstation with 1080 Ti, no integrated GPU. WARP also crash in Affinity.

WARP crashes? Can you provide a crash report please:

Affinity Store version - Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

Microsoft Store version - Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Store)\CrashReports\reports

You can acccess the AppData folder by pressing the Windows key + R on your keyboard and then just type %AppData%

If your crash report shows the Nvidia dll crash then that is usually linked to Capture One's Explorer integration. I don't believe it has to be running.

51 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Affinity Store version - Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

Microsoft Store version - Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Store)\CrashReports\reports

You can acccess the AppData folder by pressing the Windows key + R on your keyboard and then just type %AppData%

If your crash report shows the Nvidia dll crash then that is usually linked to Capture One's Explorer integration. I don't believe it has to be running.

Ehm, It could be that I forgot to restart application when I changed that, WARP seem to work now today when I'm making a screencast.

Anyway, here are two dumps with some distance between. I hope it's safe to share here.

b58da2f7-bd8b-427f-bc2b-1205e4d2b241.dmp 93bf9013-938d-405a-953a-228cd9f2c897.dmp

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

So far no WARP crashing, but oh god how slow it is even with Threadripper. At least I can blend my panos better again than LR ever could, but it is really damn slow. Got a 1080 Ti idling at 0% usage 😪

• Staff

I'm just checking those .dmp files now. I suspect I'll see the Nvidia dll referenced. 

WARP will be so much slower so I'd recommend only using it when you need to stitch/stack etc. I know it's a pain to switch and you shouldn't have to.

I've seen a few customers report uninstalling and reinstalling Capture One sorted it (it must reset the explorer integration or something). We've also reproduced the crash after installing a fresh copy of Capture One but on the second run it did not crash.

Please know that we are actively investigating this on a somewhat daily basis. 

Update - It is the nvwgf2umx.dll crash.