You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AI format in affinity designer

Hi, 

Should be really great if it would be possible saving project in AI format to import them in after effect.

Actually, when i use the PDF format, there's some problems with the transparency and gradient.

Thanx and thanx for this awesome software!

mattimat,

Hello, this has been brought up before and here are some links to other threads that will explain the issue and as well offer you some advice for other ways to get vector files into other programs. To make a long answer short, .ai is owned by Adobe and it isn't possible for Affinity to offer a way to export .ai files. I hope it helps.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/1099-save-ai-file-type/?hl=export+.ai&p=41931

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/1406-export-formats/?hl=export+.ai&p=5703

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/11610-exporting-an-ai-file-not-possible-best-alternative/?hl=export+.ai&p=53708

Hokusai

Thanx for the answer.

Sorry i didn't find the other topics.

My problem is that i can't use the gradient and the blur. When i import the document in after, it transform it.

An other problem is when i organize my document in various layers to animate them, after effect doesn't recognize them.

Do you know if there's a solution for this (i didn't find the answer in the other topics).

Thanx for your help.

mattimat,

No worries, sometimes finding things in other threads are difficult. Sorry I don't have an easy answer for you but I can tell you what I do. In regards to gradients, I normally turn the gradient to a normal fill (in Designer) and then once I import my file into Illustrator, I apply a gradient to it there (it isn't ideal but it works). Sorry I don't use blurs at all because I don't use anything in my work except vectors and blurs will be rasterized but I would imagine that you will have to either rasterize the work that uses blurs or do something like I mentioned with the gradients (and add the blurs back in Illustrator, if it is even possible). 

For your animations, this might help. When I create something in Affinity Designer and I have to get it back into Illustrator (and it contains many layers and I want to keep my layers) this is what I do. 

1). I always use a page size quite a bit larger than my finished document will be (after artboards are added to Designer this won't be necessary).

2). After I finish my drawing/project I draw a rectangular box around my work (and I normally add a black stroke to it so it is easy to see it). 

3). Next, I copy and then paste the same rectangle on every layer of my project, making sure not to change the position of it at all.

4). Then I turn off all the layers except one and export it, with a name like "projectA_layer01.pdf" and the next is "projectA_layer02.pdf" and so on. 

5). I go through and export all of the layers one by one as PDF files making sure to clearly label the layer's position in its name.

6). Finally, I create a new Illustrator document and then simply open the PDF files and select all and group, then copy and paste them the items in each layer file into separate layers in the correct order in my Illustrator file. Don't ungroup the layer objects that you group together until you are certain that the positioning is correct (it should be correct but there are occasions when things don't go as planned). If for some reason the positioning seems off, just select all and then align things with the "horizontal center" and the "vertical center". You can easily check the alignment of your work by using Outline view and looking at the rectangle that you drew around your work, if all of the rectangles line up, you're good to go!

Then from Illustrator you should be able to export them to After Effects. This all takes into consideration that you still have access to Illustrator. It seems overly complicated but it isn't really. It doesn't take very long and it is easy to do once you get the hang of it.

I love Designer and while I'm using Illustrator less and less, I have a slightly older version of Illustrator that I keep around for the rare occasion that someone asks me for an Illustrator file. My goal is to be completely Illustrator free in the future, but I realize that this is a transition. As with any transition, there is a need to have both applications running for a while. I have greatly reduced the amount of things I do in Illustrator and eventually I won't use it at all (in fact I rarely use Illustrator at all now, and I much prefer to use Designer). Some people are able to move completely over to Designer with out any problems but for me it is important to hang on to a copy of Illustrator (even an older copy) to help with older files and what not. It will be a little easier once the Affinity team adds the ability to export layers with PDF files. Keep in mind that they are often improving importing and exporting along with other features and so it is likely that your other problems will also be fixed at a later time. 

I hope it helps,

Hokusai

Thanx for your answer!

I will try your process. Maybe without passing by AI (opening the different PDF directly in after).

I'm thinking like you about designer and AI. I bought designer one month ago and i'm already using it, instead of AI (not completely but almost), for working! 

Now, if they could fix this question of exporting gradient, blur and the compatibility with after, it would be really cool.

Another thing  that should be nice is the possibility to transform a vector line in a form (looks like it doesn't exist already). I really miss this illustrator fonction. 

One more time thanx for your help!

Woww!

thanks!

It was complicated without this fonction.

Maybe the name ( at least in french version) is not so good because it looks like the line will grow instead of transforming in a form.

Hokusai, thanks for the help. I'm using your technic right now and it works fine. I export in personna All the elements i need as slices which will become layers in after. I export all the slices + a slice "ref of he final image" which will help to replace the elements (I'm not the animator). As it is for animation, the elements don't need to be exactly at the same place (so i don't need a rectangular box).

The only difference with AI is instead of using a document with many layers, we import a file with many pdf. When the animator import the file, each pdf became a layer with the good name.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

If we can't export to AI to use it with After Effects (All Ai layers as Ae layers in a composition) why not an Affinity After Effects import plugin (like C4D import plugin)? I know a lot doesn't use Affinity because of this issue.

Edouard

If we can't export to AI to use it with After Effects (All Ai layers as Ae layers in a composition) why not an Affinity After Effects import plugin (like C4D import plugin)? I know a lot doesn't use Affinity because of this issue.

Edouard

Well you could export to PSD maybe. It should work

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

Well you could export to PSD maybe. It should work

Maybe export to TIF instead of PSD. They have almost identical fuctionality.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)