You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Windows Customer Beta - 1.9.0.834

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post a new thread in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback. 

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Changes

• Enable hardware by default, but restrict it to Windows 10.0.19041 (May 2020), and GPUs that support Direct3D 12 Feature Level 12.0 and above (see https://affin.co/WinGPU for further information).
  • Added Save as Package
  • Added ability to open package files
  • Improvements to application registration and content syncing
  • Improved Studio Presets management
  • Fixed import of some PSD files ignoring the alpha channel
  • Fixed ALT+MouseWheel causing the menubar to highlight
  • Fixed crash when resizing canvas 
  • Fixed Alignment toolbar buttons always being disabled
  • Fixed several bugs relating to using pixel layers as children in symbols

1.9.0.820 release notes

As soon as I try to open a document, Affinity Designer Beta 1.9.0.834 crashed, just the same as the new photo beta does, I am unable to open anything in either program.

Disabling Hardware acceleration allows me to open files, enabling it again crashes

EDIT: Just realised I once again added incorrect log file, I have attached the correct one this morning

Log.txt

21 hours ago, Lincsman said:

As soon as I try to open a document, Affinity Designer Beta 1.9.0.834 crashed, just the same as the new photo beta does, I am unable to open anything in either program.

Disabeling Hardware acceleration allows me to open files, enabling it again crashes

Log.txt 5.21 kB · 2 downloads

Same here... same happens with APhoto beta .834 too.

Edit: Finally managed to remove all registry entries and reinstall 820! Phew!

I tried but failed to reproduce this on two versions of Windows: 
-- Previous version, Home (10.0.18363), no hardware acceleration
-- October Feature Update (2004) with hardware acceleration both enabled & disabled.
Version1.9.0.834 opened .afdesign files, created in this and earlier versions of the program. Also opened PDF, tif, png & psd files without crashing.

XPS 15, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 1050

19 hours ago, Lincsman said:

Disabling Hardware acceleration allows me to open files, enabling it again crashes

EDIT: Just realised I once again added incorrect log file, I have attached the correct one this morning

Log.txt 5.63 kB · 0 downloads

Same here

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

Both AD and APh 834 work for me on Windows 10 2009. Hardware acceleration enabled. This is on two laptops, one i7 and the other i5, both with 16GB RAM.

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

On 11/6/2020 at 4:37 PM, Lincsman said:

For me, with Hardware Acceleration enabled (but with no GPU that supports it), I cannot:

• Create a New document via File > New. The initial dialog opens, but when I click Create the program crashes.
  • Without a document open, I cannot switch to the Pixel Persona and then look at the Brushes panel. As soon as I click on its tab, the program crashes. It works fine in the Designer Persona.

After I disable Hardware Acceleration and restart Designer, both these functions work properly.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

For me, with Hardware Acceleration enabled (but with no GPU that supports it), I cannot:

• Create a New document via File > New. The initial dialog opens, but when I click Create the program crashes.
  • Without a document open, I cannot switch to the Pixel Persona and then look at the Brushes panel. As soon as I click on its tab, the program crashes. It works fine in the Designer Persona.

After I disable Hardware Acceleration and restart Designer, both these functions work properly.

Thanks so, so much Walt! This is the solution to the problem. You are a star!

Affinity: Please default OpenCL acceleration to NO on install. (and I am absolutely sure this will be addressed because Affinity do listen)

This Beta version 1.9.0.834 is buggy. It crashes whenever you want to open a file from the previous beta version or from the public version. Disabling hardware acceleration allows opening files.

Renderer: NVidia GForce GT 640.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I assume that you can't re-enable the option? After you've disabled the option, then restarted the app?

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

I assume that you can't re-enable the option? After you've disabled the option, then restarted the app?

No. If I reenable it the crashes return.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Instead of being forced to use HW acceleration by default, it would be better to implement a splash screen of sorts (like in many video games) which presents the option to users at the time of startup. I don't want to miss out on using the program just because I have (supposedly) obsolete hardware that is limited to DX11. For all I know, I may never even be using it to create very large, complex pieces of work that demand powerful GPUs. The software/processor based implementation would suffice for my use case 🙂.

10 hours ago, IndieGuy said:

Instead of being forced to use HW acceleration by default, it would be better to implement a splash screen of sorts (like in many video games) which presents the option to users at the time of startup. I don't want to miss out on using the program just because I have (supposedly) obsolete hardware that is limited to DX11. For all I know, I may never even be using it to create very large, complex pieces of work that demand powerful GPUs. The software/processor based implementation would suffice for my use case 🙂.

You're not, it's on by default if your hardware supports it (or at least it's supposed to work that way...). If you don't have the hardware, the app will work exactly the same as it always has done.

Designer Beta 1.9.0.834

New drawing
Add rectangle (Rectangle Tool)
Rotate from one corner
Bounding box appears with same fill colour as rectangle (attached image)

Additional info.

Zoom clears the bounding box but changing the fill colour of the rectangle restores it.

rotate.png

Hardware acceleration is very slow. I have GTX 1070 8GB RAM. Even with snapping disabled i see that pointer is slow and less responsible. With old version Affinity or Hardware acceleration disabled there is no problem.

23 hours ago, XU3E said:

Hardware acceleration is very slow. I have GTX 1070 8GB RAM. Even with snapping disabled i see that pointer is slow and less responsible. With old version Affinity or Hardware acceleration disabled there is no problem.

I have a GTX 1070, too and no problems.

Driver: v456.71

Windows 10 (still 2004 no H2)

Any special document type or tool type?

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo