You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.9.0.834

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

The crashes when opening a document are happening when Hardware Acceleration is enabled from a previous beta, but with the new requirements, the Hardware Acceleration isn't available. A CTRL start should resolve the issue.

A CTRL start cleared all user options on start up but it did not prevent it from crashing when I opened a file. Log file attached

Strange, I have just installed it and it works just fine on my Laptop, same version of windows but different hardware.

Log.txt

24 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Without opening a new document>go to preferences>performance
Is the option for HA still ticked?
If so>untick>close the program and restart it

Yes, this is it

Thanks

I am so Sorry, Google translate for me, I am not liable for Google ;-))

My first brief impression with the new Beta 834:

• The new Beta works not fine with the iGPU Intel HD 530. When opening a picture, again it takes a few seconds longer with GPU acceleration than without to display the picture. The sliders hook again, not working smooth enough as you would expect. In particular, it always takes an eyelash after pressing the slider until it reacts. It works better without GPU acceleration.
  • A focus stack is still not usable. The lower third of the picture remains black. Part of the image is colored yellow or green.
  • My plugin for Luminar 4 and Aurora 2019 does not work. They are not displayed. However, the Nik Collection is displayed and works.

On 11/7/2020 at 1:04 AM, Fritz_H said:

Thanks for your answer.
Windows 8.1 will receive monthly updates until 2023 - without any risk of buggy feature-updates (which usually add features nobody asked for...)

Perhaps I need to get a second system with "Spy-Windows 10" for image editing and keep my Windows 8.1-Device for work with data I do not want to share with MS, CIA, NSA etc..?

Thanks anyhow.

Its off-topic but if you dont want windows 10 with bloatware and spying, there is Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC version.

Also dont forget that lots of windows 10 telemetry were back-ported to Windows 7 & 8 in 2015 via windows update.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/213183-once-more-with-tracking-microsoft-backports-privacy-invading-windows-10-features-to-windows-7-8

They have also changed KB patch numbers and reintroduced them multiple times over the last 5 years because people where blocking and removing them.

Core i7 4770 - AMD Radeon RX 6500XT - 32GB RAM - Asus z87-Pro - Asus Phoebus - Windows 7 x64 SP1 / Windows 10 x64) - https://danielmoravek.com

10 hours ago, Danielcz said:

Its off-topic but if you dont want windows 10 with bloatware and spying, there is Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC version.

I know: offtopic; will keep it short:
Thanks, Enterprise-Versions of Windows are not available to individuals - only in large amounts for enterprise-customers.

I have no problems with Canon CR2 Raw files. I see you only have 8 GB of RAM.  That is very little in image processing. The error you described seems to be due to something other than the Canon RAW files.  Does the error occur with or without GPU acceleration?  Are you using an integrated graphic or a separate one.  More information could help the developers better understand the problem.

Hi @Mark Ingram

Just checked the latest beta (834) and no matter what image is opened (TIF, JPG, JPEG) the app crashes before the image is opened. Note I am on the latest NVIDIA driver (457.30) and the settings in my Performance sections is:

image.png.7ebc73fdce04a5b01d9226335e4f69e8.png

The error is the standard ... Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFEFDA76CC8 (nvwgf2umx.dll): 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow (parameters: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000003C16109000)

Now, here is a description of the issues faced (Note: Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling is set to Off):

My PC has dual GPUs the symptoms are:

* Setting the Windows Settings, Graphics Settings to "Let Windows decide" means an immediate crash each and every time the app is opened
* Setting the Windows Settings, Graphics Settings to "High Performance, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050" means I can open single images only, crashes on multiple images, Panoramas and HDR
* Setting the Windows Settings, Graphics Settings to "Power Saving Intel Graphics HD630" means I can open single images only, crashes on multiple images, Panoramas and HDR

** But changing the Renderer to Intel HD Graphics 630, but using setting the Windows Settings, Graphics Settings to "High Performance, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050" everything is OK.

1c8486e6-a097-4e77-a55f-10374539649a.dmp

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

16 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

This is part of the NVIDIA driver, I assume you may already have tried this, but if not, can you uninstall and reinstall your drivers?

Hi Mark, I have done that and a clean install but this is an ongoing issue since v442.xx of the drivers

PC2 HP Pavilion - 

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

Hi Mark, @Mark Ingram

After further investigation I have found that adjusting the Retina Rendering to Low Quality allows me to Open multiple images (except for uncompressed ARW RAW), perform Panorama and HDR merge using Hardware Acceleration, setting the Windows Settings (Graphics Settings) to the High performance NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050, and the renderer to the same.

image.png.886a8027c4fc2afa1b126b202c9c7cdc.png

image.png.de60479150be3db3398184dcc90b69e2.png

Why should the Retina Rendering have any effect on Windows? (I thought it was Mac only)

It seems there are 2 avenues to check, uncompressed Sony RAW processing and Retina Rendering.

PC2 HP Pavilion - 

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

@AiDon "Retina Rendering" is probably a bad name for it on Windows to be honest, but it refers to the high quality render pass. You can either have 1 pass or 2:

* A single low quality pass (fast, but low quality)

* A single high quality pass (slow, but high quality)

* 2 passes, first low, then high (fast to show the initial low quality, then async bring the high quality render in afterwards)

It shouldn't make a difference, other than having different rendering characteristics that may trigger the driver to behave in a bad way.

4 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

@AiDon "Retina Rendering" is probably a bad name for it on Windows to be honest, but it refers to the high quality render pass. You can either have 1 pass or 2:

* A single low quality pass (fast, but low quality)

* A single high quality pass (slow, but high quality)

* 2 passes, first low, then high (fast to show the initial low quality, then async bring the high quality render in afterwards)

It shouldn't make a difference, other than having different rendering characteristics that may trigger the driver to behave in a bad way.

Hi Mark, I wonder if it is an issue with vRAM usage because I can now get it to work using Low Quality, or are you optimizing memory first? I have seen in other applications that using vRAM optimization can cause issues like this.

Maybe we should be able to designate and allocate the amount of vRAM to use, say High, Medium or Low?

A better description may be Fast Preview, Accurate Preview?

Regards, Don

PC2 HP Pavilion - 

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

do not understand why is not suported directx 12 (11_0) (in my case nVidia gt730)

I can run davinci resolve 4k raw video files with cuda and no problems, open a photoshop  psd with 20 layers ,  but can not open  a simple image with 2 layers in affinity? 
:(

1 hour ago, Abelnt said:

do not understand why is not suported directx 12 (11_0) (in my case nVidia gt730)

I can run davinci resolve 4k raw video files with cuda and no problems, open a photoshop  psd with 20 layers ,  but can not open  a simple image with 2 layers in affinity? 
:(

You can open 2 layers in Affinity though? You just can't enable hardware acceleration? Photoshop won't be using your GPU to load that PSD with 20 layers.

• Staff
14 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

My previous reports about the laggy start up of brush strokes still are relevant in the latest Beta. I do hope there is an eventual fix, since hardware acceleration still is preferrable when talking about massive brush strokes.

Can you confirm this is still true when using a mouse and a tablet (with the same size brush)?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Can you confirm this is still true when using a mouse and a tablet (with the same size brush)?

Tried comparing mouse vs tablet. Mouse controls seem to be more responsive, but fast strokes are still slowed down at the start of each stroke and then speed up significantly once holding down the stroke for an extended period of time. This is especially noticeable on massive brushes where the start is slow, but becomes super responsive with it being very easy to brush a massive canvas with next to no lag as long as you keep the stroke going.

Tablet on the other hand can feel significantly sluggish since pen pressure brushes seem to be even more demanding, which becomes worse for every fast stroke done in a chain. With pen pressure taken out of the picture both mouse and tablet perform about equally.

Here's a more extensive report with a video demonstrating the problems: