You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.9 beta crashes when applying Tone Mapping settings

I am using AP 1.9.0.820 Beta on Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042. I have GPU acceleration enabled although the problem also arises without acceleration enabled. I have a Geforce GTX 1660 graphics card with 6Gb and an Asus Z97-AR motherboard with 16Gb ram. System is on a 1Tb SSD (Samsung).

Problem arises when I develop an image in 16 bit with a tone curve applied, or 32 bit with no tone curve applied, and a camera and lens profile also applied. From there I enter the tone mapping persona. Having made some adjustments  I click on the Apply button at which point AP simply shuts down - no warning, no error message. Exact same steps in AP 1.8 work just fine.

Choice of image seems immaterial, but fyg the ones I have tried are 36Mb .nef images from a Nikon D810.

Any guidance you can offer will be welcome. Many thanks.

Andrew Turner

Hi Chris B,

I'll keep my fingers crossed that your very clever coders can find why this happens and that they manage to resolve the issue. I don't dare suggest that they copy and paste from AP 1.8, as that seems to work as intended! Haven't spotted the graphical issue just yet, but I'll keep looking.

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2020 at 7:32 AM, Chris B said:

Hi Andrew,

I've managed to reproduce this when entering the Tone Mapping Persona for a 2nd time and hitting Apply. I'm also seeing a graphical issue. I have seen reports of this crashing the 1st time you enter it too. 

HI Andrew any luck with a fix on Affinity Photo not freezing when trying to Tone map? I am finding some of the photos files seem to be too large (mb)

On 11/9/2020 at 9:09 AM, aaturner said:

Hi Chris B,

I'll keep my fingers crossed that your very clever coders can find why this happens and that they manage to resolve the issue. I don't dare suggest that they copy and paste from AP 1.8, as that seems to work as intended! Haven't spotted the graphical issue just yet, but I'll keep looking.

Good afternoon all,

I confess that I reverted to AP 1.8 for a while because of the problems mentioned above. However, today I installed the latest AP beta -1.9.0.923 (RC4), processed the same files as before using exactly the same steps and have found that the app works as expected, with no crashes or glitches. Seemingly the coders have done a sterling job in overcoming the problems that previously plagued my workflow, so that I can now happily continue working with AP 1.9, keeping 1.8 as backup just in case.

I will report back if I encounter any other bugs, but so far, so good. Thank you very much, folks, for your dedication and unstinting efforts during these trying times. 😁

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problems and re-installed 1.8. On the Serif website I cannot find any information about the AP 1.9.??? so I was not sure whether there was a new version or not. Also I cannot find a proper Download page or button.

Do I love AP? Yes, I am using it almost every day to improve my last 10 years photo's.

Ruud, The Netherlands

49 minutes ago, Ruud .144 said:

Also I cannot find a proper Download page or button.

Hello @Ruud .144, and welcome to the forums.

For downloads, go to this link.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.