You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Support for RAW files with embedded lens profiles

I have found that Affinity Photo, both stable (1.8.5) and current beta (1.9.0), can not process RW2 files from Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ80/82 with lens correction. The RW2 files produced by this and many other Panasonic cameras contain a built-in lens correction profile for fixing distortion and chromatic aberration. The only programs I have found that are able to use this information is Adobe Lightroom (and related Adobe products like ACR) and SilkyPix, both of which do not seem to have any pre-made profiles for this camera but rather uses the parameters from the lens correction metadata to create a correction on the fly (Adobe Lightroom in particular specifically tells me this when doing lens correction on the file). In my testing of Affinity Photo's processing of these files, I have found that choosing the "Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ45 and compatibles" profile manually, as suggested by some for mostly any Lumix FZ model does not yield a satisfactory result, with very visible distortion remaining whichever way I tweak the correction, and doing a completely manual correction also leaves a lot of visible distortion that doesn't seem to be possible to accurately compensate for without using the specific correction data embedded in the RW2 file EXIF metadata.

I've found a page that details this metadata and how it is most likely used by the programs that can use it: https://syscall.eu/#pana

Some other manufacturers beside Panasonic, such as Sony, also embed lens correction profiles in their RAW files these days, so having Affinity support embedded profiles would probably be a very useful improvement and would lessen the dependence on the Lensfun library.

I also join the question.
I have a Sony RX10 IV camera (with embed lens correction profile) but Affinity photo only shows the "Sony RX10III & compatible profile" for it.
Although the camera itself began to be produced back in 2017.
Question for programmers - please add profiles ...

• 10 months later...
  • Staff

Unfortunately the lens profiles embedded in raw files are in proprietary formats for which we do not have the definition. We have investigated the possibility of such a feature in the past, but manufacturers are generally reluctant to provide the required information except to a few "favoured" companies. Hopefully in future this may change and, in the meantime, we'll continue pulling new profiles from LensFun as and when they are accepted into the LensFun project.