You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Collapsible panel groups, please

Real estate (if you'll pardon the American term) on a screen is at a premium, and being able to say 'make this smaller for now' is useful. This can be particularly applied in the right-hand panel groups where, for example, you can easily run out of visual space for layer.

A simple solution to this is to allow panel groups to be collapsed with a single click. The top left corner of panels currently doesn't seem to be in use. This would be an ideal place for a little triangle. Collapse the group but still show the panel tabs so clicking any one will open it up again. You could even have it so that when you open a collapsed group by clicking the tab (rather than the top left corner) and then click away or on another panel group, the temporarily opened group collapses again. Or even do this with a hover.

Thanks!

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

How is that substantially different from the current method of collapsing a panel group? Just double-click on any tab in the group to collapse it, single-click to expand it again.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

19 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

How is that substantially different from the current method of collapsing a panel group? Just double-click on any tab in the group to collapse it, single-click to expand it again.

Good grief. I didn't know that. Thanks, Walt!

You learn something new every day.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

You're welcome, Dave :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I didn't know that either after three years of using APhoto. I wonder how many people do know it. Thanks to @walt.farrellmore of us know it now.

And thank you both for this delightful exchange that illustrates something I told my colleagues and students for decades:

1.) Broadcast your ignorance whenever you want information. Sure, there might be some who make fun of your knowledge gap or who berate you for asking for a feature they themselves don't need. Pay them no mind. You are performing a public service. Always there will be a knowledgeable and patient person who will enlighten you and all the others who read your post.

2.) Even the most experienced expert can learn tips and tricks from even an inexperienced person who happens to use the software differently for different purposes. Which is one of the reasons beta testing ought to be formally organized to include testing by a broad range of people and not just depend hopefully on those interested enough to try the beta version but who might have very narrow interests.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

• 1 year later...

the double click method only seems to work when the panels are not docked.  is there a way to do it when the panels are docked?

Steve

Base Unit:  Standard model M1 Mac Mini - until such time as I can afford a new or used Studio - albeit running its OS from an external NVMe (2TB).

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro Retina - i7, 16GB, 2TB SSD

Server: Mac Mini 2014 - i5, 16GB, 2TB SSD

Workshop: HP G4 running as a Hackintosh until more funds can be found to upgrade it.

Software:  Affinity Suite (ver. 2), Office 365, Fusion360, OnShape, Carbide Create, Cura, Inkscape

8 minutes ago, cyberlizard said:

the double click method only seems to work when the panels are not docked.  is there a way to do it when the panels are docked?

It works in either case, for me. It will collapse all the panels in that row of the studio.

-- Walt
PC:

18 hours ago, cyberlizard said:

As Walt mentioned I too have no problem collapsing the panels. However the empty space in the dock will remain blank and empty.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.