You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there any way of accessing auto saved files? Where are auto saved kept?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

There's no way of accessing auto-saved files. They aren't even normal documents; they only contain incremental changes, for speed. They are only supposed to help recover from power failures and other catastrophic events. (We're going to stop calling them "auto-save" to be clearer about that.)

OK if that is the case then what information already exists for the increments to be applied to?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

The original file, if there is one. If you open a document that contains a large bitmap, add a second large bitmap, then the recovery file will contain the second bitmap and not the first. For us to copy the first bitmap to the recovery file would be a waste of time. We don't even load it into memory if we can avoid it. This helps make loading our documents fast, and also makes updating the recovery fast, so it doesn't interfere with normal working.

Sorry about this but I'm just trying to understand the technicalities'

What happens if the drawing hasn't been saved and simply exists as an 'Untitled' image but has been auto saved 5 or 6 times and there is a crash? What does AD do with auto saved information?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Next time you run AD, it will offer to "Restore unsaved file?". If you say yes, you'll be back to an untitled document, complete with edit history, and you shouldn't lose more then 5 minutes work. If you say no, it'll just be deleted and forgotten about.

In this case the file is self-contained, but we still don't provide any way to access it. They are managed transparently behind the scenes. Normally, if you want to go back to an earlier version of your document that you are editing, the History panel is the thing to use.

Hi Dave,

What I didn't say to start with was that when AD was restored after the crash, I clicked 'Autosave' and got a version that was minus about two hours of work!

I took your advice and restarted AD but was not given the option to restore unsaved file.

I looked at the History tab and all that appears to be is a list of commands used. How could that help find the unsaved work?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I'm sorry if you've lost work. You are only offered the chance to recover after a crash once, the first time you run AD after that crash. If you say no, the recovery file is just deleted. If you say yes, you can then save the recovered file normally. If you quit without saving, the file will be gone just as it would have been if you hadn't crashed. It sounds like you did recover the file, but didn't save it?

The default autosave interval is 5 minutes. I don't know why you'd be missing two hours work unless you changed that default. It's in Affinity Designer > Preferences > Performance. Can you check that it says 300 seconds?

The History tab has a slider at the top that you can use to move the state of your document back through the commands in the list. You can also click on a command in the list to revert to that point. It's a more sophisticated version of undo/redo.

Hi Dave,

When I opened the Auto-saved file I could see that I had lost about two hours of work.

I have my Auto-save set for every 30 secs.

On checking the History tab I found that there is no history for this file.

Interestingly my mouse scroll wheel does not work for panning on this file but does on other files.

Now there's a mystery!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I'm sorry that you lost work.

By default the History is not part of a normal save, so a newly opened file won't have one. When I first mentioned it, you hadn't said you were dealing with an actual crash, and I wasn't suggesting it would help with one. Sometimes people ask about autosave because they think it's a way to get back to earlier versions, and it's worth pointing out History as a better tool for that.

Hi Dave,

Sorry to be unclear right at the start. One thing I'm learning from using the Forum is to be clear and precise and to use, as far as possible, the right terminology.

I do have a separate hard drive backup which I consulted but the last backup was too old (only hours)! Maybe I ought to increase the backup frequency. I have it set up to only backup files that have been changed.

However if I simply discipline my self to always accept 'Restore' when there is a crash then the problem should be solved.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• 4 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I had been working in AF Photo, cropping and colour adjusting over 200 images. I saved an updated AF file and also exported each as a JPEG, making sure each image process was complete and renamed the files before moving on to the next one. I was working over a couple of weeks so it's not like I overloaded it or anything. I had just finished my very last image export and my mac went into the spinning pizza of doom mode and eventually crashed. 

I rebooted and wasn't given a prompt to restore any lost files. Everything had been saved in a folder on my desktop. In opening AF Photo the last 5 images I had worked on were there so I thought all was fine, until I opened my fixed folder to only find those last 5 images in af format and 45 fixed images in both formats from the very first days work. I have no idea how or why all the others in-between would  suddenly disappear.

Does anyone have any ideas?

At the moment I think I'm just going to have to do back and redo all the lost ones.

Thanks,

Mo

Edited by MoKa

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

On Macos, if you are lucky and Timemachine made a backup after the Affinity Designer autosave and before the crash:

• Open that file you've been working on in Affinity Designer
  • Add some random shape.
  • In finder go to  /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner/Data/Library/Application Support/autosave
  • Find that recently modified .autosave file or wait until an .autosave file created or modified in the last 5 minutes
  • Quit Affinity Designer without saving your changes.
  • Record that files name and delete that file.
  • Enter TimeMachine, go back to backup and restore the latest modified .autosave file under   /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner/Data/Library/Application Support/autosave
  • Change that restored files name to the recorded file name
  • Open your file in Affinity Designer and it should ask for recovery. Say YES!

Somehow directly restoring /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner folder didn't work for me.

Edited by cihanozcelik