You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cropping the document exits the program. AP 1.9.0.820

Yep. I went back one beta and am awaiting the fix

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

3 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Yep. I went back one beta and am awaiting the fix

At first I thought that maybe the document was to blame. But the error occurs when cropping even a blank document.

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

They'll get it fixed. I went back a beta since I do a LOT of cropping

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

53 minutes ago, Chris B said:

...but I'm not sure when the next build is coming. 

@Chris B

Please take the following as constructive criticism:

You provide these Beta-Versions for at least 2 reasons:
- to allow us to get an impression of things to come...
- to help you to collect Feedback about Bugs and Issues etc.

Problem:
- even if the Beta does not provide new features, it is not file-compatible with the release-Version.
This makes it very unattractive to test the Beta with real-life Data and Projects: In case a major issue in the Beta
stops progress, the (Pro-) User has to start from scratch using the release-Version = losing time.

- do you expect many more users to test the most recent beta .820 as long as such a simple thing as Crop does not work?
I will no test this Version for sure. (The next Beta I will test, is the one, with the White-Balance-Issue with ROMM ( with OpenCL) finally fixed.)
I can imagine the fight in your development-Team: some may want to provide a fixed Beta .821 ?) while others may want to
wait and add some more new features.

Howsoever,
I think you already make us wait (too?) long for a fixed Beta.
I think you should consider making the Beta-Versions file-compatible with the Release-Version.
This can be done by either just dropping all "new" features when importing the file in the Release Version or
by offering a "save as Release-Version" - Option in the Beta (which also may drop or rasterize unsupported Features)

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

@Chris B

Please take the following as constructive criticism:

You provide these Beta-Versions for at least 2 reasons:
- to allow us to get an impression of things to come...
- to help you to collect Feedback about Bugs and Issues etc.

Problem:
- even if the Beta does not provide new features, it is not file-compatible with the release-Version.
This makes it very unattractive to test the Beta with real-life Data and Projects: In case a major issue in the Beta
stops progress, the (Pro-) User has to start from scratch using the release-Version = losing time.

- do you expect many more users to test the most recent beta .820 as long as such a simple thing as Crop does not work?
I will no test this Version for sure. (The next Beta I will test, is the one, with the White-Balance-Issue with ROMM ( with OpenCL) finally fixed.)
I can imagine the fight in your development-Team: some may want to provide a fixed Beta .821 ?) while others may want to
wait and add some more new features.

Howsoever,
I think you already make us wait (too?) long for a fixed Beta.
I think you should consider making the Beta-Versions file-compatible with the Release-Version.
This can be done by either just dropping all "new" features when importing the file in the Release Version or
by offering a "save as Release-Version" - Option in the Beta (which also may drop or rasterize unsupported Features)

Thanks.

I think that the incompatibility is associated with the addition of new functionality that is being tested. The fact that this version is not intended to work says the status of the beta. Everything we do on Early Access is at our own risk.

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

2 minutes ago, Max N said:

I think that the incompatibility is associated with the addition of new functionality that is being tested. The fact that this version is not intended to work says the status of the beta. Everything we do on Early Access is at our own risk.

I guess I tried to explain, that it is possible to provide a certain level of compatibility:
Either with a "save as" in the Beta or by dropping unsupported features on Import.
(even Microsoft-Stuff can do this...)

"..
at our own risk."
I know, but this will shy away the pro-Users who may provide the most valuable Feedback.

4 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Beta is to test things that are going to be in a new release version and maybe have new code added that the current release version doesn't understand.

Did you read the part where I pointed out that it is possible to provide a certain level of compatibility - it just needs to be implemented.
This may attract more pro-Users to use the Beta and provide valueable Feedback since they will not risk to lose time in case the Beta has a major issue and they have to switch back to the release version.

I know, that Serif does not recomment to use the Beta in production use, but only this type of usage will provide really useful Feedback.

4 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Why?

I explained that already: to make pro-Users use the Beta.
No Pro-User will waste his time using a (buggy) Beta knowing that all work is lost if the Beta turns our to be too buggy to continue work.

You always refer to "new and unsupported" features.
There are not that many new features you need to worry about...
And dropping features on Import would be very easy - even Microsoft-Office-Products can handle that.
(e.g. Powerpoint: save as older format will notify you that some features will get lost..   but most of the content is still available = work not completely lost..)

I am in no way a Pro-User but I know some of these people - any how "very special" their clients are: "minor changes" that cause hours of work, last minute changes etc..
Time often is crutial.

But as it seems, you are starting to argue on a personal level.
Let´s stop here.

Bug confirmed...

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

• Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Cropping the document quits the program) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.9.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.