You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New On1 Photo Raw 2021 won't work as a plugin with sandboxed Affinity Photo 1.8.4

GregHH

The new version of On1 Photo Raw 2021, which to my understanding was designed among other things to work as a plugin for Affinity Photo, does not work with the Apple App Store version of Affinity Photo 1.8.4.  So just like with the Topaz plugins, app store purchasers are penalized by a substandard version of Affinity Photo.  And it not like Affinity Photo hasn't know about the problems with the Apple App Store version of Affinity Photo and plugins, people have been complaining for at least a year!  What ever you do, don't buy anything from Serif from the Apple App Store!

I was about to submit a request to ON1 Technical Support, when the following popped up:

With Affinity Photo, you have to go into the prefs and turn on the “Allow Unknown Plugins to be used” option to install plugins into Affinity.

Note: If you have the Apple app store version, then you need to set the Plug-in search folder as noted, and press the Authorize Global button. (see screen shot)

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 7.17.48 PM.png

Edited by Gerry Fraiberg
New information

1 hour ago, Gerry Fraiberg said:

I was about to submit a request to ON1 Technical Support, when the following popped up:

With Affinity Photo, you have to go into the prefs and turn on the “Allow Unknown Plugins to be used” option to install plugins into Affinity.

Note: If you have the Apple app store version, then you need to set the Plug-in search folder as noted, and press the Authorize Global button. (see screen shot)

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 7.17.48 PM.png

You are luckier than I, I did this as well, but while On1 would load, it wouldn't work properly.  Here is the response I got from On1:

Hello,

We have logged a bug for the problem you are experiencing which appears to be an issue with the Apple App Store version of Affinity.

Your support ticket is linked to our open bug ticket..
We'll keep you posted with any updates as they become available.

Let us know if you need further assistance. Thanks for choosing and using ON1 Software!

Tech Support & QA Engineer

On 11/6/2020 at 2:18 AM, Chris B said:

Unfortunately, due to Apple's sandboxing there is not a lot we can do about this. 

So this is an admission that these problems are never going to be fixed on your end.  Why didn't you just admit that long ago when all this started coming up?

• Staff

We only support the plugins that show up in the list (in Preferences) as being supported.

If the plugin is not in that list then we have no expectation of that plugin working as we do not provide a full Photoshop host enviornment that some plugins rely on.

We have never tried to suggest otherwise. It isn't a problem, it's by design because the functionality for the majority of plugins isn't there yet.