You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

White (background page) visible on edges of jpg image exported from Affinity Publisher

2 minutes ago, Andy Pearson said:

When I select a image in Affinity Publisher and export it as a .jpg file (transparent without background)...it adds a portion of the white background page to the exported image. How can I select an image and export only the selected image?

JPEGs have no transparency so try exporting as a PNG.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Please attached. there are three versions

(test png.png) was exported from Publisher as a png file and still has the white background visible.

(test export.jpg) was exported from Publisher a a jpg file and still has the white background visible.

(Mapping God's Mercies- slide1.jpg) was exported from Publisher, then opened in Affinity Photo, cropped out the white backgrounds, and then exported back out of Affinity Photo as a .jpg file and it is perfect.

Can this not be done in Publisher?

ThanksCapture.JPG.46c92cec70d48dc5769a070461a8708d.JPG

Are we discussing the entire image (Boards, compass and text) or (as I assumed) just the text with its boarder/box?

If the image of the boards has a white boarder then I think you may be out of luck. I hesitate to offer more advice without knowing how the image is made.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi @Andy Pearson,

Could you please attach a copy of the .afpub file here, so we can look into this for you?

Thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for your document! I can see the reason for this, it's caused by the Black Rectangle layer with FX applied.

If you right-click on this rectangle and select 'Rasterise and Trim', then in the dialog that opens untick Preserve layer FX, you'll see that the Pixel layer that is created from this extends beyond the outside of your image, which is why you're seeing the 'white bars' on export.

Unfortunately this is a know bug in regards to FX and clipping layers. I recommend using the above command (Rasterise & Trim, with Preserve FX off) on the black rectangle, then export your selection once again.

I'll also be 'bumping' the dev log with your file now :)

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

No problem at all :D

1 minute ago, Andy Pearson said:

forgive my ignorance but what does "bumping the dev log" mean?

As this issue is already logged with our developers in our internal bug report system, when the same issue is reported again by a new customer we add your report to the bug log, which 'bumps' it with the developers - reminding them of the issue and providing new information or documents.

This has been done, so our developers should hopefully look into this and provide a fix in the future, where possible!

Please note -

Many thanks!