You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My Saved Text Frame Asset reduced to 20% of original

I'm working in an imported IDML file.

I've created new text styles and a text frame then saved to assets panel. I've done this before in original AFP documents without any trouble.

But now, every time I save an asset it reduces the text to 20% of the original size. For example 9pt text becomes 2.2pt.
I can't work out what is going wrong?

Publisher_g8fWmMGHJi.png

From my observations:

Case 1: The assets are saved in a 72dpi document. In a new 300dpi document a newly made text frame is linked to the asset, the text size of the asset text frame shrinks or grows.

Case 2: Never noticed this with IDML, but with opened PDF. Some text frames seem to contain "size information" that differs from the "size information" that newly created text frames have. Linking them, makes text sizes also shrink and grow.

Case 3: The text frame is sized with the outer bottom right handle and linking the frame to others also produce the text size variations.

Workaround: Copy all the text inside the document into newly created text frames. Then you should be able to use them as assets.

Additionally you could post the IDML here, if not confident, so others can have a look too. Or if confident, ask a moderator for a private upload link.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

2 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Case 1: The assets are saved in a 72dpi document. In a new 300dpi document a newly made text frame is linked to the asset, the text size of the asset text frame shrinks or grows.

Well spotted, Joachim! I wondered where the OP’s 20% came from, since 20% of 9 is only 1.8, not 2.2. A factor of 72/300 reduces the text size in points from 9 to 2.16 (which is 2.2 when rounded to one decimal place).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks for replies (And the math lesson Alfred!) I've found the problem. It's a Layers issue that is further complicated by the Constraints/Parent/Child feature.
I'm very new to AFP so still on a learning curve. I was saving my text frame from a Sublayer which must be controlled by the Constraints TAB.
(Constraints is new to me so I'll need to read up on it)

When I imported the file from IDML various blocks of text were grouped together in to Sublayers (See image attached)
A text frame Asset saved from a Sublayer appears with Constraints applied when placed on the artboard - which is why it was reduced in size.

I moved the text block to a normal Layer, then saved the text frame as an Asset. All working perfectly.
Thanks again.

Publisher_h32RzqbGjE.png

Publisher_K6X7nxPhJY.png