You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pixels NOT Percentages for Corner Radii

Man.. I can't tell you how frustrating radii as a percent of OAL are.

I want an 8px radius on a 960px sq box... Now I gotta do math and stuff. Talk about a workflow/process drain.

8% of 960px = 76.8 - Yeah No way do I want that.

1% of 960 = 9.6px - Nope, not even close, in fact WORSE, it's so damn close and wrong, that it's going to cause problems @2x. Oh snaps! 2X I forgot about that. Whats the 2x equivalent?

0.833% #MIND BLOWN## Please spare us this nonsense.

Only reference to this issue I can find without sinking more time into this.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/1260-applying-round-corners-to-a-box/

Sorry it's 9am on a Saturday, and I've decided to remove illustrator from my workflow, and hitting some awkward app design decisions.

Found this after posting..

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10706-rounded-corners/

Why? Why a specific tool (mode) to adjust the radii? Why not make it a global feature? Sure it's how illustrator does it and Affinity is "different" but when you use the same quick keys, and have some of the exact same tools/features with a modern featurette, you have to make some reasonable accommodations when it comes to little things like this. Creating an entirely different tool to get around quick entry of radii doesn't make sense.

I want an 8px radius on a 960px sq box ... Now I gotta do math and stuff. Talk about a workflow/process drain.

No need to do the math … just tick the Absolute Sizes checkbox to enter absolute pixel values (dependent of your document settings, of course; make sure to use pixels as document units there) …  :)

post-1198-0-40598900-1440878573_thumb.png

• Staff

Simply - if you use Absolute Sizes, then the corners will remain at that size if you resize the rectangle - you can also specify your size in any unit and it will be converted to document units.  If you opt for a percentage, then the will always be a percentage of the shortest edge of the rectangle - the radius scales with the object.

That's why we give you the option of specifying them both ways.  It allows for a lot more flexibility.

Also, don't confuse the purpose of the Corner Tool with the rounding options for rectangle shapes.  The corner tool converts the original shape to a curve object before applying rounding.  There is good reason for maintaining your Shape objects if possible - they remain dynamic, and take less storage space in your files.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 6 years later...

I know this is quite old now, but I have a similar issue with AD 1.10.5 - seems like Single Radius and Absolute Sizes is only available for Rects and Rounded rects - what about all those other yummy shapes, like Trapezoid? How might I adjust the handles in pixels instead of percentages?