You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello all.

I am suffering in silence with AP. Have to say I loved AD and all it brings but AP has been frustration from the start. Nothing works how I expect.

My latest problem is I have some photos I have taken with my subject in front of a green screen. Is there an easy way to simply remove the green screen?

I have been using the selection brush tool and refining the selection but I find that this is very inaffective. It leave the edges of the subject, especially the hair with lots of green in. This green is obviously not in the hair on the original photo.

Very VERY frustrating application

Help!

Green fringes are very common with green screen images particularly on hair. In the case of hair it's usually because the screen is partially visible through the hair. On other parts of the body it can be caused by the lighting setup. There is often lots of green light reflecting off the screen and bouncing around the room.

Have you tried. Using the de-fringing filter?

I used to do my green screen keying in After Effects - much more control with the built-in keyer and tools. Getting rid of green spill is a doddle in dedicated keying tools.

Nowadays I use either Blender or Fusion. Both applications's keying tools are great (with Fusion's tools outperforming Blender's). It may sound like overkill, but when I need a quality green screen key, even for still frames, I choose either application depending on the resolution of the source file(s). And both are free (Fusion will work with up to UHD).

Fusion beta is out for Mac now. The workflow, once you get used to a nodal workflow, is easy and quick. I am quite pragmatic: the right tool for the right job.

Herbert is right, there's no substitute for a built in chromakey plugin.  They include defringing tools because it's such a common problem.  The issue is whether or or not it has the resolution you need.  If you're processing 50 (or even 20) megapixel images I'm not sure how many video editors can handle that.

I agree with everyone else - use an app with specific tools for chroma keying. I believe Motion would be a good option for handling things (large images should be fine) and be a lot easier to get your head around than Fusion (especially when it comes to reducing spill), but the basic version of Fusion is free so it might be worth giving it a try with that.

Otherwise, it's all possible with AP. You just have to figure out the right workflow to get rid of the green spill from light bouncing off the green screen. In the future, and depending on your subjects eye colour and what they're wearing, you could use a blue screen. You'll see a lot less spill off the screen.

• 3 years later...
On 8/29/2015 at 4:08 PM, EvilDee said:

Hello all.

I am suffering in silence with AP. Have to say I loved AD and all it brings but AP has been frustration from the start. Nothing works how I expect.

My latest problem is I have some photos I have taken with my subject in front of a green screen. Is there an easy way to simply remove the green screen?

I have been using the selection brush tool and refining the selection but I find that this is very inaffective. It leave the edges of the subject, especially the hair with lots of green in. This green is obviously not in the hair on the original photo.

Very VERY frustrating application

Help!

Try use iMerge Pro from FxHome, it works well and you will find some how to's on the iMerge Pro web page.

i believe APhoto should include chromakey stuff (if planed by Serif respective team)

Blessings !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3