You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Groups and adjustment layers in Photo

Hiya,

I'm having some difficulty with groups and adjustment layers and their masks.
I have a base image, and then a group layer with a masked image and adjustment layer with a mask inside that group layer. Only the masked image is showing up. I set this up easily in Serif Photo plus, but when I try to do the same in Affinity Photo, it doesn't show the adjustment layer. Is this a bug or how is it supposed to work?
As you can see, if I drag the adjustment layer outside the group, the adjustment layer works, but inside the group, it doesn't. Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks,

Mike

Temp2.jpg

Temp.jpg

It's the unusual implementation of Passthrough blend mode (a Group's default blend mode) which Serif representatives say is deliberate.

1. When a Passthrough Group contains only Live Filters/Adjustments, the coverage of a Live Filter/Adjustment is unrestricted .
2. When the Passthrough Group contains a mixture of Live Filters/Adjustments and other types of object, the coverage of a Live Filter/Adjustment is restricted to the underlying objects of other type that are inside the Group.

Your have found almost the same workaround as I have been recommending to provide full coverage to Live Filters/Adjustments in case 2: put a white Fill layer, or vector Rectangle covering the canvas, with Multiply blend mode as the bottom layer inside the Passthrough Group.

4 minutes ago, anon2 said:

It's the unusual implementation of Passthrough blend mode (a Group's default blend mode) which Serif representatives say is deliberate.

Your have found almost the same workaround as I have been recommending to provide full coverage to Live Filters/Adjustments in case 2: put a white Fill layer, or vector Rectangle covering the canvas, with Multiply blend mode as the bottom layer inside the Passthrough Group.

Which means their import of PSD doesn't work properly. Not a good implementation choice. Thanks for letting me know.