You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scale with object using multiple strokes do not update

Bri-Toon

I make my icons with two strokes. In the Appearance panel, the one on top is 0.5 (aligned to center), and the one below is 0.7 (aligned to outside). Now depending on the visual, I may have to enlarge or shrink the icons, and so I check off "Scale with object" to maintain the proper stroke ratio. However, this only affects the bottom stroke. The one that was 0.5 does not update visually. Additionally, the new line width of both strokes are not displayed in the Appearance panel even though the bottom does update in size.

So one stroke updates visually, but neither updates as displayed in the panel.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff

Hi Bri-toon.

There is a known issue that the Appearance Panel isn't being updated when using Scale with Object. However are you ensuring you're ticking this box for both strokes and not just ticking it once in the Stroke Panel? Please note the stroke panel will only reflect the currently selected stroke in the Appearance Panel, so be sure you're enabling it for both.

If you are do you mind showing the process of reproducing this from creation to resize just to be sure I understand completely what you're seeing?

5 hours ago, Sean P said:

If you are do you mind showing the process of reproducing this from creation to resize just to be sure I understand completely what you're seeing?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

You have to set the Scale With Object checkbox for each stroke from the Appearance Panel.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

23 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

You have to set the Scale With Object checkbox for each stroke from the Appearance Panel.

I tried that. It does not make a difference

8 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

I tried that. It does not make a difference

In your video you used the Stroke panel, not the stroke width for each stroke in the Appearance Panel.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

This problem has always annoyed the hell out of me - when working on a complex job and then realise I forgot to do all the box ticking -

if only you could have a preference to set scale strokes and FX to be ticked by default it would save loads of time

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

On 11/5/2020 at 3:44 PM, Old Bruce said:

In your video you used the Stroke panel, not the stroke width for each stroke in the Appearance Panel.

720.mov 4.65 MB · 4 downloads

Oh thanks for the tip. That makes sense. I was assuming that checking off that option would apply to the whole object but apparently each appearance. For some reason, that did not occur to me.

On 11/6/2020 at 10:41 AM, Dazmondo77 said:

This problem has always annoyed the hell out of me - when working on a complex job and then realise I forgot to do all the box ticking -

if only you could have a preference to set scale strokes and FX to be ticked by default it would save loads of time

Yeah I feel like some default or "Apply to all" feature would benefit in this case. A grouped object can have a lot to uncheck.

But hey, I think this gives me an idea of what to request for in another topic for Designer's new "Select Object" and "Select All" feature; since the staff said they are open to requests in that area.

• Staff
On 11/7/2020 at 5:05 PM, Bri-Toon said:

Oh thanks for the tip. That makes sense. I was assuming that checking off that option would apply to the whole object but apparently each appearance. For some reason, that did not occur to me.

Thanks for the video - as the Old Bruce and Dazmondo77 have said you need to enable it for every stroke which I did mention this in my first reply. 

However are you ensuring you're ticking this box for both strokes and not just ticking it once in the Stroke Panel? Please note the stroke panel will only reflect the currently selected stroke in the Appearance Panel, so be sure you're enabling it for both.

Yup that's my mistake. Not a bug. Thank you for checking in.