You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Work in Affinity Photo with ACES

Good day everyone.
Please help with the integration of ACES into Affinity Photo.

I watched the lesson:
https://youtu.be/YaoeGnv3FGg

but unfortunately it doesn't work out like ACES.

There are a lot of different profiles and it is not clear how to set the settings.

I'd appreciate your help.

Thank you.

What specifically are you trying to accomplish in ACES within AP?

I hope you know what ACES color space is for and how it differs from Filmic.

Are you simply trying to use the Blender Filmic OCIO with an ACES source file

The ERX 32 bit format does not contain OCIO information.

or are you trying to use ACES as a working space, etc.?

I'm trying to do the same with ACES (like in tutorial).

Also - did you download James' macros to help automate the Filmic workflow?  They are very helpful.

I'm sorry, but it has nothing to do with my question. I'm interested in ACES, not Filmic.

@Dmi3ryd The video to which you linked is about using Blender's Filmic OCIO config group and the LUTs contained in the group.  An ACES transform is included in that OCIO config, so you can render your 32bit EXR to ACES linear and then use OCIO to transform the ACES linear to log and then apply the filmic LUTs, as the video shows.  But it sounds like that is not what you want to do.   BTW, "Filmic" is not a color space, it is a transform from log to filmic highlight rolloff rendering for unbounded files - i.e., it is a way to tone map 32bit files with filmic highlight rendering.

In AP, you can set the ACES CG Linear AP1 profile, for example, as the working color space for 32bit files (see "1" in the screenshot below).

You can also download an ACES OCIO config and associated LUTs from OpenColorIO:

https://opencolorio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/quick_start/downloads.html

and use this config as your OCIO within AP (see "2" in the screenshot).

You can load a 32bit EXR file encoded in ACES and use an ACES working color space and OCIO adjustment layers to transform your data to whatever you choose, as long as those transforms are contained in your OCIO configuration.  The method is the same as in the video, you are just using a different set of OCIO LUTs specified in your config file.  If you describe what you are trying to accomplish it might be easier to get a more detailed answer.

Kirk

PREFS.jpg

• 2 months later...

Dear kirkt.

Could you tell me please how to make ACES available in the 32bit RGB Color Profile list? I.e. how to add ACES appears in the list?

Regarding item 2, I have already added the ACES in to OCIO file.

My task is to use ACES to get maximum color depth without burning white.
I simply do not understand what further sequence of actions.
There are a lot of presets in ACES and I don't understand what needs to be added and how to regulate their interaction.

I would be very grateful if you could help me with this.

Thank you very much!

• 3 months later...
On 11/6/2020 at 6:23 PM, kirkt said:

@Dmi3ryd The video to which you linked is about using Blender's Filmic OCIO config group and the LUTs contained in the group.  An ACES transform is included in that OCIO config, so you can render your 32bit EXR to ACES linear and then use OCIO to transform the ACES linear to log and then apply the filmic LUTs, as the video shows.  But it sounds like that is not what you want to do.   BTW, "Filmic" is not a color space, it is a transform from log to filmic highlight rolloff rendering for unbounded files - i.e., it is a way to tone map 32bit files with filmic highlight rendering.

In AP, you can set the ACES CG Linear AP1 profile, for example, as the working color space for 32bit files (see "1" in the screenshot below).

You can also download an ACES OCIO config and associated LUTs from OpenColorIO:

https://opencolorio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/quick_start/downloads.html

and use this config as your OCIO within AP (see "2" in the screenshot).

You can load a 32bit EXR file encoded in ACES and use an ACES working color space and OCIO adjustment layers to transform your data to whatever you choose, as long as those transforms are contained in your OCIO configuration.  The method is the same as in the video, you are just using a different set of OCIO LUTs specified in your config file.  If you describe what you are trying to accomplish it might be easier to get a more detailed answer.

Kirk

PREFS.jpg

I am also curious how you got the ACES CG to be in the color profile preference

I believe the ACES and ACEScg profiles ship with Adobe products (I want to say Premiere or After Effects perhaps).  Therefore, they are both included in my systemwide profiles.  Here is a Github project with precompiled ICCs of various flavors and gammas:

https://github.com/ellelstone/elles_icc_profiles

Download the ZIP of the code and take a look at all of the profiles in the Profiles folder to see which might work for you.

kirk