You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Empty lines created by bulleted lists (and strange button behaviour)

Hi all,

Strange issue I can't solve. Thought my doc, a few empty lines have appeared in bulleted lists (see image). Oddly, I can't delete these line. I can toggle the bullets off, which removed the bullet, but the empty line simply won't go away no matter how card I press the delete key :)

If I hit return, and create another line/bullet, that too refuses to go away again.

Ideas?

Affinity_Publisher_-_Chapter_2_-_Going_Merc_%5BModified%5D_(75.0%25)_2020-11-03_14-18-56.png.bdc65e00514e8545498e68ee053dd019.png

Turn on Text > Show Special Characters and see what is there. Also from where your text caret is hold down the shift key and hit the left arrow on the keyboard to select whatever is before it and delete everything up to and including the . (period), then type a period and hit the return key.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Turn on Text > Show Special Characters and see what is there. Also from where your text caret is hold down the shift key and hit the left arrow on the keyboard to select whatever is before it and delete everything up to and including the . (period), then type a period and hit the return key.

Thanks - hidden paragraph breaks. Solved! :)

6 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Slightly unrelated (I think)...

I have added this image inline to the file and it has gained an underline. If I move that image to elsewhere inline, the underline vanishes... For some reason it seems to just appear when the image is placed in that position. I can't work out why - there is no actual underline applied to it. Is this line created by Publisher in order to highlight an issue to me, or is something strange happening?

Thanks!

Affinity Publisher - Chapter 3 - The Rules [Modified] (50.0%) 2020-11-03 21-17-17.png

1 minute ago, SubTric said:

or is something strange happening?

I am just guessing here (a stab in the dark (see what I did there?)) that the underline is coming from the image. I would need to see the actual image to be sure.

Edit: Or... it could be that it is coming from the Paragraph Style you have for MELEE WEAPONS . Put your text Caret in the line with Melee Weapons and use the arrow key to advance to the end of the line (after the s) then click once more with the right arrow key while holding down the shift key this should highlight the Paragraph return, if it highlights the image then you have to go back to the s and put in a paragraph return.

You may want to paste the image in Before the word Each in the following Paragraph and that should apply the decoration to the Melee weapons header but not the image.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I am just guessing here (a stab in the dark (see what I did there?)) that the underline is coming from the image. I would need to see the actual image to be sure.

Edit: Or... it could be that it is coming from the Paragraph Style you have for MELEE WEAPONS . Put your text Caret in the line with Melee Weapons and use the arrow key to advance to the end of the line (after the s) then click once more with the right arrow key while holding down the shift key this should highlight the Paragraph return, if it highlights the image then you have to go back to the s and put in a paragraph return.

You may want to paste the image in Before the word Each in the following Paragraph and that should apply the decoration to the Melee weapons header but not the image.

Aha!

It was the latter - the image had picked up the header style. I had thought of that earlier, but when I selected the image it said 'no style', selecting it as you suggested however, revealed other wise.

I really appreciate it!

While I have you... given that you've been mega helpful... ;) Twice this evening, the behaviour of my arrow keys (I'm on a Mac) have changed so that pressing them to move around a text block, instead increases the letter spacing between words. When this happens, I need to hold down the command button to make them work normally again. I can remedy this by saving, closing and reopening the doc, after which functionality returns to normal. I am 'assuming' that there is a shortcut I'm accidentally enabling and causing this behaviour (i.e. it feels deliberate, rather than a glitch), but I have no idea how I've managed to enable that twice (or how to revert it). Any ideas, oh wise Old Bruce? :)

8 minutes ago, SubTric said:

Twice this evening, the behaviour of my arrow keys (I'm on a Mac) have changed so that pressing them to move around a text block, instead increases the letter spacing between words.

That is Rong Wrong.

Go to your Publisher Preferences and check the Keyboard Shortcuts, I use the Apple Shortcuts but if you click on that button you'll loose your own shortcuts so you'll have to reset them... Things should look like this:

1598021795_ScreenShot2020-11-03at1_47_00PM.png.970fe16565896fb2e8081fb38f178f2e.png

Post Script: Am old but I'm more cranky than wise.

12 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

That is Rong Wrong.

Go to your Publisher Preferences and check the Keyboard Shortcuts, I use the Apple Shortcuts but if you click on that button you'll loose your own shortcuts so you'll have to reset them... Things should look like this:

1598021795_ScreenShot2020-11-03at1_47_00PM.png.970fe16565896fb2e8081fb38f178f2e.png

Post Script: Am old but I'm more cranky than wise.

My settings mirror those shown here. It is continuing to do it today as well... Effectively, pressing any of the 4 direction arrows just adds a space (as though I've pressed the space bar). Additionally, the delete button will not work and cannot delete the spaces that have been added (I need to undo instead).

I'm needed to regularly close and reopen the doc to undo it. It seems to start happening after I have change an element, such as a text style or inserted an image.

EDIT! - This behaviour begins to occur after I edit a table - my document contains a number of tables that I imported from InDesign (this started as an idml file). Between InDesign and Publisher, some elements of the table design changed, most notably, the bottom line of the table, which is a row of small diamonds, as opposed to an actual line. The shape and size of these had distorted. After playing around, to bring them back in line with the original design, I need to select the bottom line of the table and change the size to 6.5pt (from 5) and click the 'Scale with object' from the cell stroke menu. This makes the table look lovely, but also triggers the odd behaviour with my direction keys and disables my delete/backspace button!!? Image attached of the 2 settings I change. Surely this is a glitch or something odd? Again, once this keyboard behaviour occurs, I have to close and reopen the document to resolve it.

1428940012_AffinityPublisher-Chapter3-TheRulesModified(75.0)2020-11-0410-16-01.thumb.png.40c98e8f1213cc4d002835582f9c5d21.png

EDIT TO MY EDIT - Doing ANY table editing causes the off behaviour with the arrow keys and backspace button to occur.