You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hang scrolling through fonts list

On 10/30/2020 at 5:49 PM, AlvaroGar said:

I have noticed quite quickly compared to the version I have (1.8.5.703), however it keeps slowing down even reaching freezing 😥.

Perhaps it influences that they are mostly otf files instead of ttf files?.

Best regards

Sorry, I didn't realize that I didn't indicate that I was referring to the font selection 😅.

I also take this opportunity to say other bugs that I have found:

- SVG fonts appear in the font list, but cannot be used, they appear invisible.

- I don't know if it will depend on the font or not, but in some fonts they appear with very distorted kerning, the characters invade each other and I have to separate it by giving it an exaggerated spacing.

Edited by AlvaroGar

• Staff
On 11/1/2020 at 8:21 AM, AlvaroGar said:

Sorry, I didn't realize that I didn't indicate that I was referring to the font selection 😅.

I also take this opportunity to say other bugs that I have found:

- SVG fonts appear in the font list, but cannot be used, they appear invisible.

- I don't know if it will depend on the font or not, but in some fonts they appear with very distorted kerning, the characters invade each other and I have to separate it by giving it an exaggerated spacing.

Hi @AlvaroGar
I've split this into its own thread.

With regards to the SVG fonts these aren't currently supported, so they won't work as expected. I have seen others say they've had black and white fallback and not invisible, but I'm not entirely sure if that is something the fonts themselves have to support. Would you be able to attach a couple of the offending ones to the our internal Dropbox account using the link below and I'll query it with development to see if there is anything we can do to stop them showing/ensure the correct fallback. 

With regards to the the kerning, have you tried these fonts in things like MS Word or other text editing applications - do you get the same behaviour? If not could you attach a copy of those fonts as well please. However this does sound more like its the font at fault and not us.
https://www.dropbox.com/request/TX9sCu2aaP0TTaAUqahX

1 hour ago, AlvaroGar said:

Font selection in Affinity Designer Beta Version 1.9.0.820

There are a lot of fonts in your list that aren't showing previews which seems strange. I've tried this myself and all my fonts are showing previews and not getting any form of hanging when scrolling through that list. Would you be able to follow the steps below to get a dump of the Designer process once its hung like your video shows please? 

1. Make Designer Hang as above
2. Go to Task Manager
3. Find the Affinity Designer Beta process and right click it
4. Select 'Create Dump File'
5. Upload the resulting file (it will show you the location once its finished) to the Dropbox link above please?

Also do you use any form of Font Management software or are these installed in Windows like normal? 

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Hi @AlvaroGar
I've split this into its own thread.

With regards to the SVG fonts these aren't currently supported, so they won't work as expected. I have seen others say they've had black and white fallback and not invisible, but I'm not entirely sure if that is something the fonts themselves have to support. Would you be able to attach a couple of the offending ones to the our internal Dropbox account using the link below and I'll query it with development to see if there is anything we can do to stop them showing/ensure the correct fallback. 

With regards to the the kerning, have you tried these fonts in things like MS Word or other text editing applications - do you get the same behaviour? If not could you attach a copy of those fonts as well please. However this does sound more like its the font at fault and not us.
https://www.dropbox.com/request/TX9sCu2aaP0TTaAUqahX

There are a lot of fonts in your list that aren't showing previews which seems strange. I've tried this myself and all my fonts are showing previews and not getting any form of hanging when scrolling through that list. Would you be able to follow the steps below to get a dump of the Designer process once its hung like your video shows please? 

1. Make Designer Hang as above
2. Go to Task Manager
3. Find the Affinity Designer Beta process and right click it
4. Select 'Create Dump File'
5. Upload the resulting file (it will show you the location once its finished) to the Dropbox link above please?

Also do you use any form of Font Management software or are these installed in Windows like normal? 

HI @Sean P

Thanks for the reply.

Svg fonts: I can't provide any fonts for licensing reasons, sorry. If it says they still don't work, I will uninstall them.

Kerning: I have tested the fonts in MS Word and Powerpoint and there are no kerning problems. I cannot provide you with any fonts for licensing reasons.

Font Installation: The fonts I have installed is windows like normal. I don't have any additional font management software or form of font management software.

Dropbox: I just uploud you a dump file. I hope I did it right because I had never generated a dump file  😅

Best regards

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.