You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

System/Application/Document diagnostic functionality

When trying to answer questions in the forums we often have to ask about which OS someone is using, or whether their drivers are up-to-date, or what their Preferences are set to, etc. etc. Also, it’s often necessary to ask the user to give a screen-grab of their Document Setup (more than one screen-grab), or Export dialog (and More dialog, sometimes needing to be scrolled), or other things.

I was wondering if it would be useful to have a button – maybe on the About dialog (I'm not really bothered where it is) – which, when pressed, would copy a text file containing useful system/application/document information to the clipboard for pasting into forum posts.

It could contain, for example:

• OS type and version;
  • Affinity application and version;
  • Graphics Card(s) information (with driver version(s) and dates?);
  • Connected Input devices and driver information;
  • Plug-ins loaded (if in Photo);
  • Preferences settings (maybe not keyboard shortcuts as it would be a very long list);
  • Document Setup settings;
  • Current/Last Export settings (from the Export dialog, not the Export Persona).

Basically anything non-private/personal which could help with the diagnosis of problems generally.

What does anyone think? Good idea, bad idea?

Good idea, Garry.

For instance My provider has set a maximum on the upload file size.
Normally it doesn't cause any problems, but I'm sure there are other providers who
have even stricter upload rules, which could present a problem with screengrabs / videos etc.

Cheers, C.L.