You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, I'm working in Affinity Photo on an iMac 27 inch with a retina screen running on OS Catalina. In a multi-layered file with the layer I am working on placed at topmost layer I have about half a dozen dead pixels that will not accept any paint. 

I have tested the same sized file in Photoshop and set up a few pages in Affinity Publisher to see if there are dead pixels on the actual screen - there aren't. Please don't suggest it is my Mac's screen that is at fault - this latest machine is only a few weeks old and I have been working happily in all other programs without this occurring.

Two screen shots attached of the topmost layer where this is happening. Two separate occurrences. But, oddly the same pixel configuration.

Has anyone any idea what's happening here please? Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 12.25.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 12.25.41 PM.png

Hi and welcome to the forums @Janes1976,

What is the blending mode? Is there a mask on the layer? Is there a pixel selection? What is underneath? What happens if you select the layer and copy it and make a new document with the contents of the clipboard?  What is your layer structure, and where did the layer come from? What kind of layer (pixel or image or something else) is it?  ...

This (two disembodied screenshots) really isn't enough to go on for me to offer any meaningful help.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hello Bruce, thanks for trying to help out.

Blend mode normal both on the brush I was using (an AP native brush - not an import) and on the layer which is a pixel layer. There are no imported images in the entire file (I've read up on the dead pixel issue with imported photos)

No pixel selections live - no live selections anywhere else on screen.

40 layers in play at present. The layer I'm working is not part of a group. Other layers are grouped in folders - turning on or off groups makes no difference.
I've turned off every individual layer underneath and re-opened each in turn. (Is there a on/off all layers quick command I am missing? I can't seem to short cut that)

The other layers are all pixel layers with 5 adjustment layers which have also been turned on and off individually and have no effect other than their intended ones.

I've tried turning off all layers and add a new one to work on - the same empty pixel area happens in the same spots.

I'm working on a file of A3 dimensions at 300dpi which is my normal working size and resolution for illustration.

Thanks for any further insight your might be able to offer.

Jane

Can you create a sample .afphoto file that exhibits the problem that you can share with us?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

20 minutes ago, Janes1976 said:

Attaching a live file here for you. Zoom in on the guitar mounted and you'll see one area on the body of the guitar and one on the fret.

Thanks for the file.

Yes, I see them. But I have no problem painting on them.

I have no idea how you might have created them, but they aren't acting "dead" in an sense for me at this time.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You've encountered a pixel glitch - it happens from time to time, just paint over the affected area on the actual guitar layer.

Worked for me.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

Thank you Affinity Jules, I shut down, restarted and voila! It is working again. Bit of a worry (as I am thinking of kicking Photoshop into touch and testing Affinity to that end at the moment) so I am glad it's just a glitch and not something terminal. Good luck in London when you guys shut down again. 
Cheers Jane