You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher ... Workspace around printable page

I have taken steps to allow white space around the printable page which will show objects to the right and left of the page.

However, it does not allow objects to appear above and below the page except for less than 1 inch.

Can that be enabled in some way?

Or is this the limitation for viewable space around the printable page?

Thank you for any replies regarding this issue.

Workspace around printable page limited.jpg

Workspace around printable page AF Publisher.jpg

Not sure if this is the answer you want to hear. The 'workspace' is mainly off to the sides, not above or below, of the pages/spreads. Here I have a tall yellow rectangle which is outlined by the bounding box.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 hours ago, BugsJane said:

However, it does not allow objects to appear above and below the page except for less than 1 inch.

No, afraid not

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

12 hours ago, BugsJane said:

As a workaround you can increase the document's bleed. This also enlarges the work area. Here a sample with 100 mm height.
(Note, however, that you can inadvertently move objects between pages in the work area.)

249015714_workspaceincreasedwithbleed.jpg.4c2e8dfeb88a3d40a8710644bd385315.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, nicolasfolliot said:

Thomaso's got a good workaround there, but we shouldn't have to cheat and be able to, you know, work in that space.

This is the Questions section of the forum. If you're suggesting a product enhancement you need to use the Feature Requests & Suggestions part of the forum, where Serif looks for enhancement requests.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

This is the Questions section of the forum. If you're suggesting a product enhancement you need to use the Feature Requests & Suggestions part of the forum, where Serif looks for enhancement requests.

Well thanks Walt, I know it wasn't your intention but looking into the requests part led me to another comment of yours which solves exactly what @BugsJane here was looking for: 

So… thanks I guess :)

43 minutes ago, nicolasfolliot said:

but looking into the requests part led me to another comment of yours which solves exactly what @BugsJane here was looking for: 

No, I'm afraid it doesn't. The complaint was about not being able to put objects above or below the page, only to the sides.

To do any of those you need to turn off Clip to Canvas, but that still only allows objects to the sides of the page.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, nicolasfolliot said:

Thomaso's got a good workaround there, but we shouldn't have to cheat and be able to, you know, work in that space.

Apart from the fact that this workaround can lead to an annoying chaos as soon as you reset the bleed to a reasonable value (e.g. for export), if you then still have objects between the pages.

I prefer the current UI with narrowed workspace area between pages because it reduces scrolling through documents. So, if you create a feature request, it could include the option for users to keep the workspace slim between spreads.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1