You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am wondering whether it is possible to export vector graphics from Affinity Designer with 3D effects as purely vectors. My experiments with this seem to indicate that those 3D effects always get rasterised on export. Is that the case? Whenever I export without rasterising being applied, the resulting file loses all 3d effects.

As of versions 1.8.x, whenever you use a Layer Effect – Shadow, etc. – the layer you use that Effect on will be rasterised upon export (unless you tell the software not to rasterise anything and then, as you saw, you may be missing some things) and there’s not much that we as users can do about it. Whether this changes in future versions, only Serif can say.
There may be ways to add the effects after export but how to do so would depend on what type of file you are exporting to and what you will be doing with the exported file.
If you can give more details about what you are trying to do then someone might be able to advise.

Thanks Garry. I'm trying to create a vector only file for upload to Shutterstock and Adobe stock image services. I'm trying to export 3D text as curves with a clipped background pattern done completely as vectors, rather than a background from a jpeg. When I export in a vector format (SVG or EPS) where I turn off rasterising, the result is a very flat image. Adobe and Shutterstock won't allow vectors that contain rasterised elements. The sort of effect I'm trying to make is in the attached image but without rasterising it results in the very flat looking version.

Chr.png

flat result.png

Edited by Gregoir

Ah.
If you were exporting for use in a website then it might have been possible to add the effects back in again using CSS, but if you’re exporting for uploading to a site which doesn’t allow for rasterised elements then I think you might be out of luck if you are only using the Affinity software.
There may be other software that you can use to add the effects ‘post-export’, before you upload, but I don’t know what they might be.
Maybe someone else has some ideas.

Thanks Garry. I will re-think my approach on this. Perhaps I need to just stick to PNG format or change the way I’m creating a 3D effect. Shutterstock and Adobe do allow PNG files, so I might look into effects on a transparent background..

Maybe you could find some information here - this is a fairly often discussed topic.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Exporting+vectors+with+3D+effects+site%3Aforum.affinity.serif.com

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.