You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I wanted to snap objects to the horizontal center of a box, but this snapping was very arbitrary, sometimes it worked and sometimes it just wasn't there. So I started experimenting with the settings in the Snapping Manager, and checked various boxes there. Then it suddenly breaks completely and it doesn't matter that I uncheck the boxes again! What happens now is that I cannot even move an object down in a straight vertical line by holding the shift button. Instead the object will move down-right or down-left, never straight down. This behavior remains even when I uncheck ALL boxes in the snapping manager. It also doesn't matter that I restart the file. Only when I go to another file does it work again, even when the settings are EXACTLY the same. So, in short:

1. How do I get snapping back to normal in my file?

2. How do I reliably snap objects to the horizontal center of a box?

Thanks.

EDIT: I should add that the only snapping that does work now when I check one or more snapping boxes is down-right/down-left/up-right/up-left type snapping. I don't know exactly the difference between the boxes but it doesn't seem to matter what combination I choose. The vertical/horizontal snapping is all but gone.

Doesn't work, sorry. One more thing I could add is that, like I said when I hold shift button I can only move objects down-right/down-left etc (diagonally might be a better word), whereas before I could only move them orthogonally. BUT this is now regardless of whether I have snapping on or not, strange because it seems to have been triggered after I entered the grid manager. The only other thing I looked at was the grid and axis manager but I did not change anything there.

2 minutes ago, Kijoli said:

The only other thing I looked at was the grid and axis manager but I did not change anything there.

Do you have your grid showing? View > Show Grid. This sounds like you may have an isometric grid turned on.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

This sounds like you may have an isometric grid turned on.

6 hours ago, Kijoli said:

The only other thing I looked at was the grid and axis manager but I did not change anything there.

And the winner is... ? :-) 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.