You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Include Layers greyed out when exporting PDF/X

Hi,

I just discovered, that when choosing to export as PDF/X-1a, PDF/X-3 or PDF/X-4 the include layers checkbox i greyed out and unchecked. I can only export a flat file.

It is active however when I choose PDF 1.5, 1.6 or 1.7.

But I need to export a PDF/X with layers, so that I can apply Processings Steps afterwards in Callas PDFToolbox Desktop.

Why is it greyed out? And what is a workaround? How to export a PDF/X with layers?

Thanks.

The greyed "include layers" checkbox should contain a tick because the PDF/X exporters behave as if "include layers" is enabled.

However, you must ensure the Affinity document's Layers (capital L denoting the container type object, not an arbitrary type of object) have names. 

Absence of a name will result in a Layer's content being exported but not enclosed in a corresponding Layer in the PDF, regardless of the status of "include layers".

I have checked what you suggest.

I'm exporting from Designer. I have an Artboard and 2 named Layers (with many objects within) in the file and 3 loose objects on the artboard but not contained in a layer.

And when I open the result PDF in PDFToolbox (which is a very accurate piece of software), it shows no layers in the file.

So your statement that Affinity exports layers by default is not true. It actually ignores layers, and the unticked option Include Layers is actually accurate.

23 minutes ago, Aardo said:

I have checked what you suggest.

I'm exporting from Designer. I have an Artboard and 2 named Layers (with many objects within) in the file and 3 loose objects on the artboard but not contained in a layer.

And when I open the result PDF in PDFToolbox (which is a very accurate piece of software), it shows no layers in the file.

So your statement that Affinity exports layers by default is not true. It actually ignores layers, and the unticked option Include Layers is actually accurate.

The app behaves on my machine as I stated: PDF/X exports contain layers when my Affinity Layers have names. Your mileage may differ.