You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Pictures Not Looking Like the Edit

6 hours ago, TariqMK said:

On the left is a picture of my edit in AP. When exported, the image looks vastly different.

Notice the shadows on the ground and the bushes on the right.

What is going on here?

Screenshot_-_01_11_2020_,_01_14_14.png

What profiles are you using, what colour mode and what are you exporting to?

2 hours ago, Slammer said:

What profiles are you using, what colour mode and what are you exporting to?

I’m using all default settings with regards to colour modes and defaults, I can confirm the names later but I haven’t touched any of those settings. (Not sure if that’s good or bad)

57 minutes ago, TariqMK said:

I’m using all default settings with regards to colour modes and defaults, I can confirm the names later but I haven’t touched any of those settings. (Not sure if that’s good or bad)

It is very important that you tell us:

1. What are you exporting to, to where?

2. Apple or mac user?

3.The colour profile set in your document itself?

4. The colour profile attached with your incoming image into the document? (the ICC profile)

5. Your colour setting in the export dialogue box of whatever you used?

I see the colours are more saturated and the image is darker on the right, I have thoughts but you need to also mention (just briefly) what adjustments you did to the image in AP.  This should be easy to diagnose then.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

On 11/1/2020 at 11:31 AM, Chris26 said:

It is very important that you tell us:

1. What are you exporting to, to where?

2. Apple or mac user?

3.The colour profile set in your document itself?

4. The colour profile attached with your incoming image into the document? (the ICC profile)

5. Your colour setting in the export dialogue box of whatever you used?

I see the colours are more saturated and the image is darker on the right, I have thoughts but you need to also mention (just briefly) what adjustments you did to the image in AP.  This should be easy to diagnose then.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for replying, to answer your questions:

1. I am exporting locally to my PC

2. I am using Windows 10 with Affinity 1.8.5.703

3. Where can I find this information?

4. Where can I find this information? I am using .CR2 RAW files to import into Affinity Photo

5. I just realise that when I export photos, I actually go to File > Export and export into JPG. However it seems that I probably should be using the Export Persona to do this. How can I see what my export settings are when I do it via File > Export? I have attached to this reply the screenshot of my settings when I export this way.

Screenshot - 05_11_2020 , 21_48_19.png

#3 & 4; With the ‘Move’ tool selected, info about the loaded image, including it’s current colour profile, will appear to the left in the Context toolbar.

#5; Click the 'More...' button at the bottom of the Export window to see additional settings.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

14 hours ago, TariqMK said:

Thanks for replying, to answer your questions:

Sorry I am a bit confused.  You imported the image as camera raw 2 into A.photo.  Edited it, took it to Publisher, exported as a jpeg to where?  If you imported as cr2 and edited it then took it to publisher and then want to print it?  I am confused over the work flow here.  Going from CR2 to Jpeg would most certainly shift tones and colour slighltly by the way.  I can definitley help you with this but it is hard fro me to visualise exactly what you are doing with the image.  Plus markw has  answered those questions you asked. so the more info the better.  

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

9 hours ago, Chris26 said:

Sorry I am a bit confused.  You imported the image as camera raw 2 into A.photo.  Edited it, took it to Publisher, exported as a jpeg to where?  If you imported as cr2 and edited it then took it to publisher and then want to print it?  I am confused over the work flow here.  Going from CR2 to Jpeg would most certainly shift tones and colour slighltly by the way.  I can definitley help you with this but it is hard fro me to visualise exactly what you are doing with the image.  Plus markw has  answered those questions you asked. so the more info the better.  

No problem, here is my workflow, only Affinity Photo is used.

1. RAW File (.CR2) > Affinity Photo

2. Apply Pre-Develop edits to Image (no change to colour profile from the default)

3. Develop Image

4. Add additional edits as desired

5. Export to PNG using File > Export using default settings (no change to colour profile from the default)

46 minutes ago, TariqMK said:

I guess I should be choosing a colour profile when exporting? 

If you want to, but the PNG export should be defaulting to embedding the Affinity document's profile (sRGB in your example) in the exported file.

In which app are you viewing the exported file that looks incorrect?
Does the exported file look correct when viewed in Affinity Photo?

8 minutes ago, anon2 said:

If you want to, but the PNG export should be defaulting to embedding the Affinity document's profile (sRGB in your example) in the exported file.

In which app are you viewing the exported file that looks incorrect?
Does the exported file look correct when viewed in Affinity Photo?

I am viewing the exported photo in on the same local PC (Windows 10) using the default photo viewer.

I should also note that I notice the same problems with darkness when I view it on my iPhone and iPad (screen brightness etc doesnt change anything).

Is this perhaps a bug with Affinity Photo?

7 minutes ago, TariqMK said:

I am viewing the exported photo in on the same local PC (Windows 10) using the default photo viewer.

I should also note that I notice the same problems with darkness when I view it on my iPhone and iPad (screen brightness etc doesnt change anything).

Is this perhaps a bug with Affinity Photo?

Does the exported PNG file look correct when viewed in Affinity Photo on your PC?

18 minutes ago, anon2 said:

Does the exported PNG file look correct when viewed in Affinity Photo on your PC?

Thats a great point.

I opened the PNG Export in Affinity Photo and can confirm that it looks like I intended it to look (i.e. the colours are exactly how I thought I originally exported them).

What does this mean? That AP is using a different "standard" for colour than my PC and iPhone/iPad?

TariqMK  Is this perhaps a bug with Affinity Photo?

Highly unlikely.  You are comparing screen to screen.  I also notice that you have the A.photo image in 16bit,  only dedicated Photo software supports 16 bit otherwise it will automatically be compressed to 8 bit for viewing conditions.  My personal choice would be to print the photo, this is the ONLY way to know the truth about your editing.  The image on the left in your first post is quite flat, I actually prefer the right image.  When I edit photos I often have to edit the main one for printing conditions, then copy the main one, throw it into 8 bit and s'RGB, and manually re-edit for screen which usually involves a little bit of a curve adjustment that's it.

It far too much of an expectation to expect your lovely edited image to appear the same on all viewing devices.  If it is too dark then lighten it for the screen .  However if it is too dark on the print version then we have a seperate issue. 

As a final note, and I am wondering....are you comparing a CR2 image to the right hand one in your original post, or has the left one already been assigned the s'RGB or adobe 1998 profile and is no longer a raw?

20 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

TariqMK  Is this perhaps a bug with Affinity Photo?

Highly unlikely.  You are comparing screen to screen.  I also notice that you have the A.photo image in 16bit,  only dedicated Photo software supports 16 bit otherwise it will automatically be compressed to 8 bit for viewing conditions.  My personal choice would be to print the photo, this is the ONLY way to know the truth about your editing.  The image on the left in your first post is quite flat, I actually prefer the right image.  When I edit photos I often have to edit the main one for printing conditions, then copy the main one, throw it into 8 bit and s'RGB, and manually re-edit for screen which usually involves a little bit of a curve adjustment that's it.

It far too much of an expectation to expect your lovely edited image to appear the same on all viewing devices.  If it is too dark then lighten it for the screen .  However if it is too dark on the print version then we have a seperate issue. 

As a final note, and I am wondering....are you comparing a CR2 image to the right hand one in your original post, or has the left one already been assigned the s'RGB or adobe 1998 profile and is no longer a raw?

1. Does that mean I have to change my camera to shoot in 8 bit?

2. Sadly I am unable to print the photo at this time, I have watched a video on colour profiles however and am understanding a bit more about the process. Colours are much more complicated than I would have thought a week ago!

3. To answer your final question, I had already developed the CR2 RAW Image

3. I did some test exports to sRGB and Apple RGB but sadly the issue persisted. HOWEVER! Just now I saw a Colour Profile that had the name of my monitor on it (I dont remember configuring this anywhere, maybe AP just picked it up from Windows??) and now my exported image is EXACTLY like my edit! However now on my iPhone/iPad it doesnt seem to have changed.

How to best interpret these findings?

1 hour ago, TariqMK said:

1. Does that mean I have to change my camera to shoot in 8 bit?

2. Sadly I am unable to print the photo at this time, I have watched a video on colour profiles however and am understanding a bit more about the process. Colours are much more complicated than I would have thought a week ago!

3. To answer your final question, I had already developed the CR2 RAW Image

3. I did some test exports to sRGB and Apple RGB but sadly the issue persisted. HOWEVER! Just now I saw a Colour Profile that had the name of my monitor on it (I dont remember configuring this anywhere, maybe AP just picked it up from Windows??) and now my exported image is EXACTLY like my edit! However now on my iPhone/iPad it doesnt seem to have changed.

How to best interpret these findings?

1.  No, My advice is to always shoot in RAW.  which is 16bit, REMEMBER, RAW does not have a colour profile, it is profile-less so to speak, it is Raw data waiting to be edited, your screen siply interprets intelligently what was captured in camera, it is for all intense and purposes a mish mash of colour and tone waiting to be cooked properly.  You never know how you might want to come back to that image in a year or two.😀

2.  Adobe RGB 1998 is a bit overated at times, although I always edit in this profile.  Best to go from a slighly larger gamut to a smaller one in the final edit.  The only Profiles you will ever need to use for photo printing are: s'RGB,  Adobe RGB1998, and proPhotoRGB, but the latter is only applied if you have the printer to print in this colour space.  Also it might be comforting to know that most colours and tonal ranges display equally well in both s'RGB and Adobe RGB1998, do not get hung up on  this.  Forget about Apple RGB, never used by photographers.

3. That Monitor colour profile is what comes with the monitor, it determines how colour is displayed on a monitor.  Every monitor has something like this, if you calibrate your monitor with a colourimeter and special software then you get a new profile which you you name yourself, this is another subject though.

4. and now my exported image is EXACTLY like my edit! However now on my iPhone/iPad it doesnt seem to have changed.  Ipad and Iphone will have different algorithms for interpreting colour I imagine, this would not concern me, I get the same results after I edit an image for the web and then see it displayed on a phone, I am ashamed of what I see, but that is the way things work digitally speaking.  When you say your exported image now the same, you mean that the A.photo iage within that softwre on your screen is the same as seeing it where?

36 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

1.  No, My advice is to always shoot in RAW.  which is 16bit, REMEMBER, RAW does not have a colour profile, it is profile-less so to speak, it is Raw data waiting to be edited, your screen siply interprets intelligently what was captured in camera, it is for all intense and purposes a mish mash of colour and tone waiting to be cooked properly.  You never know how you might want to come back to that image in a year or two.😀

2.  Adobe RGB 1998 is a bit overated at times, although I always edit in this profile.  Best to go from a slighly larger gamut to a smaller one in the final edit.  The only Profiles you will ever need to use for photo printing are: s'RGB,  Adobe RGB1998, and proPhotoRGB, but the latter is only applied if you have the printer to print in this colour space.  Also it might be comforting to know that most colours and tonal ranges display equally well in both s'RGB and Adobe RGB1998, do not get hung up on  this.  Forget about Apple RGB, never used by photographers.

3. That Monitor colour profile is what comes with the monitor, it determines how colour is displayed on a monitor.  Every monitor has something like this, if you calibrate your monitor with a colourimeter and special software then you get a new profile which you you name yourself, this is another subject though.

4. and now my exported image is EXACTLY like my edit! However now on my iPhone/iPad it doesnt seem to have changed.  Ipad and Iphone will have different algorithms for interpreting colour I imagine, this would not concern me, I get the same results after I edit an image for the web and then see it displayed on a phone, I am ashamed of what I see, but that is the way things work digitally speaking.  When you say your exported image now the same, you mean that the A.photo iage within that softwre on your screen is the same as seeing it where?

Ok so I was doing some research on colour profiles and found that like you said, monitors have their own colour profiles built in.

I found that all this time my own monitor was not on the default sRGB settings. So I turned it back to factory defaults (with sRGB) and instantly the screen got brighter.

However:

Now I am experiencing the same issue and changing the colour profile does not help at all.

My Affinity edits are 'flat' (artistic style) in my AP Edit, but when I export they look different.

Any idea what I can do now? Why did changing a colour profile fix it last time, but now nothing is changing it?

40 minutes ago, TariqMK said:

I found that all this time my own monitor was not on the default sRGB settings. So I turned it back to factory defaults (with sRGB) and instantly the screen got brighter.

Your monitor should be in the default monitor profile not in s'RGB.  The photo editing software is ALWAYS device independent.  This means that regardless of monitor profile A.photo, like photoshop displays images in the colour space assigned to it,  in spite of monitor profile.  However you change back to the default monitor space.  If you are on a laptop, you should reduce the luminance, and I mean really turn it down.  Laptops are notorious for their ridiculous default brightness levels.

Where are you exporting them too, how, or on what device or in what programm are you viewing them in?

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank everyone for the time they spent troubleshooting with me on this issue, I learnt a lot about Colour Profiles and now I know that I cant take it for granted that every image will look the same on every screen, I will have to tweak the final image accordingly on a device basis!