You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Idml editing easy but not obvious

I had major problems getting a solution to this.

Imported Idml files were imported ok but I couldn't get any tweaks done. None of the layers were editable.

But I found out that if you right click on the original layer the pull down menu changes, giving you the edit options. Edit Detached was the one I was looking for.

Now everything works and the fine tuning needed after import is a breeze. 

There should be a tutorial on this. Many gnashed teeth, much wailing and lots of time got me this solution.

Screenshot 2020-10-31 at 20.17.17.png

9 hours ago, tom d said:

But I found out that if you right click on the original layer the pull down menu changes, giving you the edit options. Edit Detached was the one I was looking for.

Hi @tom d,

I assume your post is intended as a tip for fellow users and I appreciate that very much. But I want to add something important.

By looking at your screenshot I can tell that the object in question is part of a master page. This is indicated by the orange border at the left.
You can edit objects on master pages either in detached mode. This basically is a local change only on this particular page and will not be reflected on other pages with the same master page applied.

Or you can edit the object on the master page itself ('Document > View Masters') and this will change all objects on all pages.

Actually imported IDML-files can be edited in the same way as regular APub files.
So, basically your problem has not so much to do with IDML editing but with understanding document structure and how to handle this 🙂

There are two tutorials (by Serif) on the topic:

Master pages: https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/337264378/
IDML Import: https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/389994883/

Cheers,
d.

Edited by dominik
Edited partly to be (hopefully) more clear

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Cheers d

I was wondering what the orange lines were for. The problem I had was searching the help site. I didn't have the precise wording for the search that would drill down to a solution. I tend to learn stuff by trial and error with a bit of intuition. And even the things that don't work teaches you something sometimes. I think the way you can edit master page items on specific pages is brilliant. It was worth the effort.

Thanks for the info. And your attention.

Cheers,
Tom

1 hour ago, tom d said:

I didn't have the precise wording for the search that would drill down to a solution.

Hi @tom d,

glad to be of help 🙂

The right wording often is key to find the correct answer. Often, if I do not know exactly what to look for, I start searching for the correct term before in a second step I narrow down for a solution.

While on the topic of master pages and trial and error. Note the difference between editing master page items detached on one specific page and editing it on the master page itself. This can be powerful but also sometimes a cause for confusion 😉

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil