You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.dds, mip map, normal map, BC7, etc.. Support ?

44 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

is simply Export, unless you save in native *.afxxx format. Easy, and completely logical (for me).

If you like using a word that means to travel. Sure ok. For me, I like a word that means what I am doing. And that would be = Save As.

Export's definition = to send/travel.

I'm not sending my files anywhere. I want to "Save" them "As" something else or save them as same file type, either way, its save as.

But I do understand this is just preference. I am just pointing out this is a first for a app to do this, and all other Apps and from the past especially use Save As to save stuff. Not export only.

If by 

46 minutes ago, InfaRed said:

edit some things

you mean add adjustment layers, live filters, masks, non-destructive crops etc, then you what you have created is an unsaved .afphoto document.

Your original .jpg is unmodified, and what you have open on screen cannot be saved directly as a .jpg because the .jpg file format does not support the Affinity layers.

You have two options:

1) Flatten the image (Document - Flatten). You can then either Save (the original .jpg will be updated) or Save As (a new copy will be created).

2) Save the .afphoto document. Then Export and use the options to create a new .jpg from the .afphoto document. Your original .jpg will be unmodified.

The latter option is called non-destructive editing and it's pretty much how Affinity Photo is intended to work. 

EDIT: "Export" in this context does indeed mean "Send out from". You're sending a file out from Affinity Photo in a new format. Apple's own Pages app (and many others) use the same metaphor:

581379109_Screenshot2020-11-04at08_55_34.png.c8dbdb6794a1d32afb57e74fadd4a40d.png

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

36 minutes ago, h_d said:

If by 

you mean add adjustment layers, live filters, masks, non-destructive crops etc, then you what you have created is an unsaved .afphoto document.

Your original .jpg is unmodified, and what you have open on screen cannot be saved directly as a .jpg because the .jpg file format does not support the Affinity layers.

You have two options:

1) Flatten the image (Document - Flatten). You can then either Save (the original .jpg will be updated) or Save As (a new copy will be created).

2) Save the .afphoto document. Then Export and use the options to create a new .jpg from the .afphoto document. Your original .jpg will be unmodified.

The latter option is called non-destructive editing and it's pretty much how Affinity Photo is intended to work. 

EDIT: "Export" in this context does indeed mean "Send out from". You're sending a file out from Affinity Photo in a new format. Apple's own Pages app (and many others) use the same metaphor:

For #1, when I chose "Save As" in Affinity, it never allows me to save as anything other than a .aphoto file. (which is my complaint.) If indeed you are right, maybe I am missing something. lol I will go look again. But that's my whole complaint, (not like its really a big deal) but I can never use Save As to save anything ever other than .aphoto files. So thanks for the info, let me go try a few different things. Maybe its been my workflow ? Ironically always happens to corner me in the same situation here ? IDK.

And yes, that very last part, THAT is IMO the correct usage of the word "Export" - notice how they use "Export To", which is even more correct. IMO. I'd like to see more apps use that and in that way. Cause your sending it to something (as you said). But IMO, I do not think saving a .jpg from a .jpg after some mockups to your desktop is considered "sending" it anywhere. Know what I mean ? Just my opinion of how I look at it. 

My issue, is if I want to save any file other than .aphoto files, then I need to click on Export. Period. No way around it.  I been using photo apps since 1998, and for me, the exact way Affinity does it, is just alien. I agree you can figure it out and still use it. But IMO, its not normal to my history.

Again, not a big deal, but just shooting the breeze here 🙂 I personally think they could improve it. And hope they do. All it is is word terminology, that all. All functions are there. I am being petty - yes.

1 hour ago, InfaRed said:

I said jpg to jpg.

Unfortunately, this is just your simplistic understanding. In fact, it is "Importing" a non-native JPEG format into the application's native working data (imported by Affinity for speeding up under the Open command), editing them, and then "Exporting" to a non-native JPEG format.
That is, if you require the "SaveAs" operation to be performed. If you save to the same JPEG/PNG/TIFF file using Save, that's not a problem - but you've probably already found that on the forum, it's been discussed many times.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

5 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Unfortunately, this is just your simplistic understanding. In fact, it is "Importing" a non-native JPEG format into the application's native working data (imported by Affinity for speeding up under the Open command), editing them, and then "Exporting" to a non-native JPEG format.
That is, if you require the "SaveAs" operation to be performed. If you save to the same JPEG/PNG/TIFF file using Save, that's not a problem - but you've probably already found that on the forum, it's been discussed many times.

Actually yes I did/do understand that. But thanks for repointing it out. I do indeed get the reasoning. I just don't like the reasoning is all. I like the original way. Thats all I am saying.

Maybe this is a better way of putting it. More simple, and matters less about what is happening or not under the hood. I would like in the "Save As" option to have all possible file saving options there. Just like it is in 99% of other apps I been used to.

And in Export option, only have option to send the file directly to another app. Again, like that is suppose to be. That has always been the norm for decades now.

So in summary, you should be using Save As a lot more than Export. (unless your workflow sends to other apps more than saving as different files/same files) - Its just my personal liking. Mainly cause its sticking to normal terminology over the last 20 years.

Export's definition = to send/travel.

I recommend studying the meaning of the word "Export" in terms of programming and data manipulation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Import_and_export_of_data

You will notice the sentence mentioning SaveAs (The "Save As" command in many applications requires much of the same engineering, when files are saved as another file format), which as a non-native speaker I "import" (translate) as "Export is the correct word for this operation, but the word/designation SaveAs is also used, but formaly incorrectly".

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

17 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

I recommend studying the meaning of the word "Export" in terms of programming and data manipulation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Import_and_export_of_data

You will notice the sentence mentioning SaveAs (The "Save As" command in many applications requires much of the same engineering, when files are saved as another file format), which as a non-native speaker I "import" (translate) as "Export is the correct word for this operation, but the word/designation SaveAs is also used, but formaly incorrectly".

Oh yea I totally get that. I just like Save As better. Its what I am used to. Also a wiki description of something is entirely different that a Webster Merriam definition. As Wiki can take something wrong like a trend of society (which uses words wrong all the time) and describe it. It doesn't mean it is correct. It just means its been adopted to be used as such. There are many new things like that that I hate now-a-days. All technically incorrect usage.

You are right though, Save As when used how I like it is just literally the same coded function as how Export is now in Affinity. I'm just trying to preach how it should remain Save As. As it not only makes more sense, but is more correct verbally.

I just always gravitate towards clicking on Save As, cause its what I've been used to. Thats personal I know. lol

Anyway, this whole thing has ran its course. I was just pointing out that I do not like it. And I am sure many others feel the same way.

I’ll just leave this here....

What Does it Mean to Export or Import a File?

In common usage, "export" means to send something from your country to a different country, and "import" means to bring something from a foreign land to your own. Similarly, in computer terminology, "import" means to bring a file from a different program into the one you're using, and "export" means to save a file in a way that a different program can use it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

And I am sure many others feel the same way.

Sure, but many others don't mind and find it so natural/logical.

9 hours ago, InfaRed said:

And in Export option, only have option to send the file directly to another app. Again, like that is suppose to be. That has always been the norm for decades now.

No, the norm has not been to send the file directly to another app. As with the Apple Pages app example, the norm is to export a file to a different file format (like PDF, RTF, plain text, or whatever) that other apps can open. 

You seem to be confusing apps with file formats.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 11 months later...
11 hours ago, Joghurt said:

Would buy it if it had DDS support

Totally agree. Hence the whole point of this thread and my other postings.

Also, I dipped out for a sec, but just from a personal terminology side (and I am always right cause I think logically and not emotionally) I still vastly disagree with @R C-R and the others backing the illogical concept of what export vs save as means, should mean in this situation. BUT due to neither side ever having any solid right or wrong thing, this debate could go on forever. Cause this subject is not finite.

Best way I can describe this from a superior mind like myself is this: As you both pointed out - EXPORT means to travel. Hence also by definition Export is a more serious thing. More is going on. Right ? We can all agree there. I look at the word Export as something more serious than Save As. Because its vibe and energy as the group of letters imply that. Just look at them for a sec. Theoretically the word Export shouldn't even be a thing in these apps - Let me explain.

If I were to export you from your house, would you be in the same house ? No. Export means to move. Ok ? Very simple.

Your house is a perfect analogy to a App. NOT a frickin format. Changing format is nothing serious. You can change your format/clothes and still remain in the same house. Format is more related to what you are wearing. This is because nothing really changes except the skin, its the same really. And in the same place, just changed its clothes.

So EXPORT implies your file needs to TRAVEL somewhere - to another app/house is the only logical thing because file formats do not travel, they are clothes, there is no house/country to change, just clothes... "Save As" (which has less gravitational pull due to having same name as Save in it, so implying a less serious task) should be used to change file type. Since its the same as save really, you just want to change its clothes BUT do not need it to travel anywhere. Its also a less serious task, so the name fits. Save & Save As are almost the same. Save is so common, so Save As should be second most common (which is saving as a different file type - no ?). VERY logical.

Export now has totally changed letters here. It by far is implying a far more serious task. Something NOT related to Save. Get it ? As it does not have the word Save within it. So it should be used for the least common task and the task that best fits its description of TRAVEL.

FYI, file format changing is not traveling. Thats ludicrous to even think so. The word in the description says it all = It is "CHANGING" = changing its clothes. Thats it. Very simple. EXPORTING is traveling, and traveling is "MOVING". Our files really do not even need to "move". Just be saved as something else. If you want to use that something else in a new place then fine. But that's a whole other secondary thing, outside of the Affinity app.

Where you are right is this is how it is. So you are right there. Where you are wrong is trying to defend that and bending it into something that makes sense. Cause it don't. Export = Travel. File Format changing is NOT traveling. That said - really we don't even need the Export function/title. It is dumb and confusing. Everything should be under "Save" and  "Save As" as that could accomplish everything and make sense too. Save As whatever you want, then open in a new app if you want.

2 minutes ago, InfaRed said:

As you both pointed out - EXPORT means to travel.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/export (definition 3).

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/export (definition 3)

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/export (definition 4)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

And that's what I am saying. That makes no sense. Look closely. There are 11 ORIGINAL definitions of export. And 1 (one) measly new age amendment to the original definitions. There are plenty *new* definitions of old words that make no sense and have no merit other than complete new age childish youth non-sense misusing words. "Stems" in the audio world is another one. Used totally wrong, and used totally wrong for so long that the dictionaries have wrongfully followed suit. So you can't use a dictionary as proving something right or wrong anymore. Like politicians, they've lost all credit.

Use logic instead of a dictionary. Thats the simplest. They are doing it with lots of things now a days. Cause people are dumb, then dumb catches on. And well, here we are ! BUT the dictionary does have it there if you read between the lines. 11 normal usual original definitions that predate the one, and 1 hilarious misused new-age definition. That says it all right there.

Either way, like I said, we will never agree. But you guys with this mental block seem to conform (which is the problem), whereas I do not. Just because the government says its law, or a dictionary says this or that does NOT mean that's correct to a natural universal law. So I stick to original. Unless the new thing makes sense. Which in this case it does not. Doesn't matter at the end of the day, if I like pressing a blue button to get food, and the machine changes it to a red button, I will complain, but still know to press the red button to get food and just be unhappy about it. So it really doesn't matter. I am just saying, I hate the word Export being used the way it has started to be in the last 10 years. It's ludicrous plus just looks bad compared to "Save As". Export doesn't "click" for me for the definition that I know it to be. Thats all. And it angers me how society just loves to buy into crap. Instead of sticking to solid, good, logical ways.

Shall we go down the list ? You can no longer use the words "Mom and Dad". Don't know if you heard, but its literally against the law. Because that's wrong and a kid without a mom or a dad or one with a transgender parent will feel some type of way (lol) sooooo, of course we all have to conform to the "hurt feelings" crowd and no longer use the ever so famous words I grew up on called Mom and Dad. You can no longer say Mailman. You can no longer say Manhole Cover. - ALL these are to soon be changed in the dictionary.... and is that right ? Hmmmmm.. I'll let you decide. For me - no it is not. The world needs to quit trying to reinvent the wheel, making it square in the process and claiming how much better it is !

Either way, like the word Stems. The dictionary got the word Export *WRONG*. How embarrassing for them. Maybe more embarrassing for those that buy into it and support it without thinking about it and taking a unique, individual, one of a kind stand instead of moving along with all the cattle.

48 minutes ago, InfaRed said:

I hate the word Export being used the way it has started to be in the last 10 years.

The meaning of the word "Export" in computer terminology is, of course, relatively new, as is the new term "computer" in the context of human history, but 10 years? - You really amused me.