You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PPI, not DPI , and numerical entries

Thanks for your simplified explanation, however I can assure you that nobody was in any doubt in the first instance. Can I ask how many users have been unable to understand what we were trying to convey? Can I also ask how many users would have instead been confused if we had mixed DPI and PPI (whichever was strictly correct in the UI at that time)? I think you'll find that actual people trying to use the software are not left confused by why it says DPI all the time, whereas they may have been confused if it sometimes said DPI then sometimes said PPI even though that may be more correct. My case in point was actually cited in the Apple documentation which was also incorrect but in no way was it ambiguous to a reader.

So maybe we simplify everything? It will be easier for all of us. Let's delete the CMYK color space, then it will be much easier. With this approach to the subject, I see no future for Affinity Photo.

I think this issue can be chalked up to people either not knowing the difference between dpi and ppi or people knowing better but so used to hearing the incorrect usage that they understand the intent. It's like if a recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of sugar, many people will say 3 tablespoon fulls when the correct way to say it is 3 tablespoons full.

BTW MrFlexo, PPI is actually pixels per inch not points per inch when referring to resolution if you wish to be proper :)

Yea...my mistake. 

To be honest... longer I read the posts on this forum, more I am convinced that I made the mistake of buying the AD and APh. With this approach, these programs will never be substitutes of Ai and PS.

To be honest... longer I read the posts on this forum, more I am convinced that I made the mistake of buying the AD and APh. With this approach, these programs will never be substitutes of Ai and PS.

Time will tell if they will replace the Adobe apps. They both have very innovative solutions for our workflows and it's too soon to throw out the baby with the bathwater because of an inaccuracy.

I think that we can all agree that these developers are more interested in satisfying our requests than most are so there are times that we must agree to disagree and move on.

• Staff

So maybe we simplify everything? It will be easier for all of us. Let's delete the CMYK color space, then it will be much easier. With this approach to the subject, I see no future for Affinity Photo.

Or instead, perhaps we don't overreact and actually realise that there are many deliberate inconsistencies in most applications you use which help with common understanding, although they may not be strictly completely correct. Just because you're aware of this one, you're more attuned to it and it jars with you - but to most people, nothing has been lost and it's easier to understand what was meant.

Edit: Actually, as has been mentioned, it's not just software that this 'incorrect for the sake of being more understandable to the masses' is endemic, it's most things in life... it's just that you care about this one, so you have a problem with it.

Also, if you think about it, all you're actually doing is saying "I think it's super-important that a pixel is deliberately called a pixel and nothing else - that makes it easier for me to understand what was meant" - instead, consider that a 'dot' can also be a pixel - there's nothing to say it can't be as it's just a (square) dot on your screen, so you can use the more generic term, but I agree you do lose the more clear description. Have we ever said that PPI is not right? No. Have we said that it doesn't hurt with comprehension? Yes, and I believe that's true.

Matt,

I have to admit I'm more than somewhat confused by this idea that it is better to deliberately say the wrong thing as it is less likely to confuse people (or, put another way, perhaps, to pander to those that are happy to be wrong, rather than to those who are trying to do it right) ...

... there are many deliberate inconsistencies in most applications you use which help with common understanding, although they may not be strictly completely correct

Ok, let's say that's true; then, as a user trying to understand vector drawing and how to create a full workflow for my wife - from her concept to creating the physical reality on paper and the web, please can you give me the list of *all* such inconsistencies in your software so that I can understand where you have decided to deliberately state the wrong terms?

Hi again Matt,

In trying to get to a position where I can stop this buzzing around in my head - yes, I can be a real nerd about this kind of stuff and it can keep me awake at night :(  - I was rereading the full thread again, and came across the following point from you which has jarred with my current concept of DPI  (and so, of course, raised the thought that I may not have the full picture - a polite way of saying I might be wrong about something ;). 

Are you saying that there are times when DPI would be the more correct term to use, at some stages in Affinity?

... It would need to change to say DPI/PPI each time the units changed between screen or physical types and it would not further enhance anyone's understanding of what was meant - in fact it may detract for many users. We also show items on screen at physical size with screen density corrections, so it does indeed have an actual physical meaning in our program.

Thanks,

Gary

I have to admit I'm more than somewhat confused by this idea that it is better to deliberately say the wrong thing

But it's not the "wrong" thing, Gary: popular usage changes, and anyone who needs to worry about the difference between DPI and PPI knows the difference and should be able to act accordingly.

Frankly, this is change for change's sake - it's a pedantic nicety rather than a Real World problem.

Keith Reeder

• Staff

Seriously, any user of this forum must be able to see from my post history that I will bend over backwards to help anyone out and will change pretty much any area of the application where it makes sense so that users are happy - and the point I'm trying to make here is that calling it PPI is a more specific usage of calling it DPI. DPI is still a completely valid term to use for screen-specific output, but the 'dots' refer to pixels at that point. Whereas PPI is more specific, it refers only to pixels. It's a less ambiguous term, so I have agreed at the outset that it would be more correct, but DPI is not wrong and it is more accessible to the rest of the world, hence why it said DPI in the first place. I'm sorry if I've not made as much sense as normal on this, I'm only able to get on the forum intermittently at the moment and not for very long at a time... :(

MrFlexo, on 27 Dec 2016 - 5:46 PM, said:snapback.png

these programs will never be substitutes of Ai and PS.

What other people on this forum probably think but don't want to say MrFlexo is ... Why don't you stay with Ai and Ps and please, stop whining and get out of here.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

As I remember the USA made a slight error with unit names that were thought interchangeable. Made a bit of a difference to their space program.

Still, if programme can become program then there is confusion for us all for years to come.

One man's foot, in the past, was all that was needed until some men grew taller.

Subsequently we realized standardizing units was quite important for almost anything we tried to do as a group. Although pedanticism is contagious it has a use and in this case clarity of unit is the goal.

As of now I shall think DPI for printing and PPI for digital image work on my computer.

There you go. Problem solved. I will use your software my way. (hope you don't mind if I ask the occasional question). Simples!

Regards.   Sharkey

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

But it's not the "wrong" thing, Gary: popular usage changes, and anyone who needs to worry about the difference between DPI and PPI knows the difference and should be able to act accordingly.

Frankly, this is change for change's sake - it's a pedantic nicety rather than a Real World problem.

You know when the circle was defined separately from the oval I am sure someone must have said "change for change's sake". What in real terms difference does this make? Ye Gods and Fishes - I give up  :( !

Regards in resignation.    Sharkey

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).