You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Compressing images - Squash app

I don't know if this is allowed or it will be reviewed as spam but I found something very excited to be honest and I think it could benefit a lot of us here.

As a web developer I'm a huge sucker for speed and my goal is always to create websites with page-loads below a single second when possible of course. Minifying http requests, web-fonts, JavaScript, CSS and of course compressing images is always top priority for me.

Good, a few days ago while browsing through the Mac App Store I saw an app called Squash.app. I took a glance at it and thought, damn that's a pretty app icon, I bet you that icon would look mega sexy at my Dock.  :wub:

Again, this wouldn't be the first time you'd buy an app because it has a pretty icon and the app itself is a complete horror.. I read the app description and my first opinion was, well for compressing images ? do you really need an 7.99 app for that? I still was stil using the Free ImageOptim.app for a few years now and it's doing the job, right.

7eXOYUd.png

Today, out of the blue, I noticed the app was discounted I guess because right now it's available for only 2.99 - that pulled me over the edge to take a risk and I bought it anyway.

After a few tests - I don't know.. I'm kinda surprised to see the difference in results when you compress .jpg files. I had a huge panorama mountain picture in some folder I knew that I ( myself ) had never touched before and I made 3 copies and run it through each compressing apps to see the difference in results and I was kinda shocked.

Default image - 12.8mb

ImageOptim - 11.6mn

Squash - 2.5mb

Seriously, I couldn't believe this.. The difference is huge, I mean this is like someone who's trying to sell you a brand new iPhone 6 for 199.-. Too good to be true, right, so I opened them full screen and seriously I can't see one picture lacking quality from another. I don't have the best monitor in the world but hey, there is a difference between 12.8 and 2.5mb.

I don't know why this relative new Squash app can compress .jpg images so much because .png and .gif files it's about the same ( just not as good )  as ImageOptim.

I don't have any connection with this app or the developer, that's why I will post my 12.8mb test image here so you guys can do the test yourself - even run some of your own images through the app to see the results for yourself.

Download my test image:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75896077/default_mountains.jpg.zip

The app also has a trail version for 3 days at their website.

http://www.squishformac.com

This is the free app I have been using in the past few years.

https://imageoptim.com

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Software I love, and you should get :wink:
Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

Update

Looks like it can only compress .jpg formats and very-very small .png + .gif files.

I've tried to compress a few 200+ kb .png files and the app crashed on me every time I dropped the file into the app.

So maybe thats why it does .jpg formats so well over all the other apps. The app looks like it to be optimized for .jpg files only. I can't say this for sure because you can't reach out to the developer for problems or anything. There is only a website and a buy button, no support page or anything. 

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

• 4 weeks later...

Update 2

Don't use it.. It's bad. Looks like there is a difference between the Mac App Store version and the Trail version you can download from the developers website. The Trail version still can compress smaller .png files while the Mac App Store version will crash as soon as your drop any .png file in the window even 2kb files.

And from using it a while on Live sites on the web I can tell it really does lower the picture quality of your photo's you just have to test a few different photo's and you'll see the results. It's really bad.

Developer of the app is nowhere to be reached, I've tried to mail or get in contact with him but there is no information to be found about him, not even a Twitter account.

Looks like the app is just for show - fancy icon - pretty design - crappy/low quality.

The ImageOptim Mac app is still the best compressor I've used for years and it's even Free to use.

https://imageoptim.com

Hardware