You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - wrong exported colors in linked objects

Hello,
In Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 I have a problem exporting the correct colors to PDF. What worked for me until October 21, 2020 without problems, now makes mistakes with the same settings.
I am sending an example in the attachment. Let's focus on the logo at the top right.
Its correct colors are: orange 0-50-100-0 and gray: 0-0-0-60
This was fine in version 02 of my document.
In version 03 of this document, as well as in all my other documents, the colors of the linked objects appear differently than the original. The problem is only with linked sources, because the bar in the graphics is the same color 0-50-100-0 and it is interpreted correctly.

When I export from document 02 now, the colors always come out badly.
I tried all the basic PDF export PRESETS.

Please, give me an advice. Or I'll hope it's just a small update bug.

version inz_210x148_zdstzdmv_03.pdf  - wrong colours of linked objects orange. 0-52-93-0 and gray: 55-45-40-6)
version inz_210x148_zdstzdmv_02.pdf  - correct colours of linked objects (orange. 0-50-100-0 and gray: 0-0-0-60)

Thank you

fb-art_CMYK.psd logo_ctverec.ai inz_210x148_zdstzdmv_02.afpub inz_210x148_zdstzdmv_03.afpub inz_210x148_zdstzdmv_02.pdf inz_210x148_zdstzdmv_03.pdf

• Staff

Hi Radovan,

There are so many attachments on this thread im a little confused.

Please could you type steps for how I can recreate this issue. Could you also please tell me which colour format  you are working with?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

1 hour ago, Callum said:

Hi Radovan,

There are so many attachments on this thread im a little confused.

Please could you type steps for how I can recreate this issue. Could you also please tell me which colour format  you are working with?

Thanks

C

Everything is in documents...
...02.afpub + ...02.pdf - OK
...03.afpub + ...03.pdf - not OK - for me surprise because I haven't changed anything since the last version (02) 

Thank you

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

Your top right logo is not color managed, so it gets the CMYK color profile assigned according to your Publisher settings under Preferences > Color. You should be able to fix this either by changing the CMYK color profile (in Publisher preferences) to Coated Fogra 27 and then re-placing the logo, or opening the logo .AI in Illustrator and assign it with Coated Fogra 27 and saving the file, and then re-placing it in Publisher. Here is a fixed version done with former method.

EDIT: You should be able "re-place" (=get the profile assignment of a linked file updated) by using Resource Manager and just replacing the source with the same file source.

inz_210x148_zdstzdmv_02_fixed.pdf 470.55 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you for the advice. Yes, I can adjust the color properties of the logo in this one case,
but I use many similar links (sponsor logos, etc ...). Until October 21, I had no problems with exports and it was one of the things I tested at Affinity before buying. It's not working since October 21st. What is now set differently in the program? ... I am not aware that I would change anything .. How is it possible that until recently the program exported colors well? Versions ... 02.afpub and ... 03.afpub are still the same documents, with the same settings, with the same link, but with different results, which worries me a lot.

I wanted to edit the linked documents. When I wanted to search for them via the Resource Manager by pressing Show in Explorer, an explorer opened in the My Computer folder, where the link is not stored. Please tune it. This doesn't really make my job easier. Thank you

33 minutes ago, Radovan said:

I wanted to edit the linked documents. When I wanted to search for them via the Resource Manager by pressing Show in Explorer, an explorer opened in the My Computer folder, where the link is not stored. Please tune it. This doesn't really make my job easier. Thank you

I've never seen that happen. What does the Resource Manager show for the path to the file? Can you give us a screenshot?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, Lagarto said:

AI in Illustrator and assign it with Coated Fogra 27 and saving the file, and then re-placing it in Publisher.

This is a good solution, thank you for it. My current emergency solution has been more slower. The situation is now most complicated by a malfunctioning Show in Expolorer button.
Thanks a lot

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I've never seen that happen. What does the Resource Manager show for the path to the file? Can you give us a screenshot?

I may have found the cause, but it's not good news for Adobe CS4 migrants like me. It seems to work on the links I made at Affinity. When I work with a document that came from IDML and I didn't edit its linked documents, the Show in Explorer button has trouble seeing them (you can try it on my documents embedded at the beginning of this topic).
If I replace the link (just replace it with the same one), the Show in Expolorer button works well (see scr2.png).
When it doesn't work it shows like opening Windows Explorer in the Windows menu - it shows the default location - My Computer (see scr1.png).
So it's a bug that bothers me a lot now, because I have to fix a larger number of linked files.

scr1.png

scr2.png

24 minutes ago, Radovan said:

I may have found the cause, but it's not good news for Adobe CS4 migrants like me. It seems to work on the links I made at Affinity. When I work with a document that came from IDML and I didn't edit its linked documents, the Show in Explorer button has trouble seeing them

That may give @Callum a good clue to try to reproduce the problem; perhaps there's some Affinity issue with interpreting the data from the IDML files that can be improved.

Thanks.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...

I had a similar problem. Imported .psd files (in a tan color) sometimes went wholly or partially black when exporting.

Testing a suggestion here above I printed the file out in .ps (using Adobe/Windows pdf printer, which is actually my default one!) and distilling it in Acrobat Distiller everything came out fine.

So, thanks for the tip.

Bodvar