You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Width & Height window format

Suggestion: Some software programs place the width and height measurement unit name outside the measurement size boxes. This makes selecting and changing sizes easier and clicking on the unit name is also used to change the measurement between different units of measurement. I've attached a short video to show how this is set up. Could this be a possible future option for Affinity?

rusty - Macintosh: macOS Big Sur 11.1. Memory 16 GB

Personally, I like the current Affinity solution - if I need to quickly change the displayed units, then I right-click on the upper left ruler corner.
image.png.bc2a4cf05a44bf7f0f9f90b188741380.png

The current solution, where the unit is part of the input field, allows you to enter units other than those currently displayed.
image.png.f8bfe42c8c8e4e886f07eddd4bc3be0b.png

And most importantly, it doesn't take up as much space as displaying units outside the edit box.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 10/30/2020 at 11:13 AM, Pšenda said:

if I need to quickly change the displayed units, then I right-click on the upper left ruler corner.
The current solution, where the unit is part of the input field, allows you to enter units other than those currently displayed.
And most importantly, it doesn't take up as much space as displaying units outside the edit box.

In my workflow I often want to check and see what my design in pixels would look like if I were working in a different unit of measurement. So when I'm adjusting the object size in the size boxes in the lower right corner of the screen and then must travel to the upper left corner of the screen to change units and then travel back to the lower right corner, this does not feel quick to me : )

And yes you can enter alternate units in the size field, but the current unit stays the same. Not helpful if you need to see the results in a different unit value.

Indeed it doesn't take up as much space, however if the user needs to make a small value change (example 342.75 px to 342.76 px), you click in the cell, the entire value is highlighted, you click the right arrow on your keyboard to go to the end of the cell, then you delete three spaces just to get rid of the unit designation, just to get to the digits to make the change. Just seems like it could be simpler if the measurement units were shown outside the cell. Still amazing programs that I do very much enjoy : )

53 minutes ago, rusty5 said:

So when I'm adjusting the object size in the size boxes in the lower right corner of the screen and then must travel to the upper left corner of the screen to change units and then travel back to the lower right corner, this does not feel quick to me : )

You could move the Transform panel so it's in the upper left, rather than the lower right :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You could move the Transform panel so it's in the upper left, rather than the lower right :)

An excellent suggestion, however a more useful solution (for down the road) might be to add the unit button to the Transform panel so that regardless as to the location of the Transform panel, the unit selection button is always right there and readily available 😊

Transform Panel.png

8 hours ago, rusty5 said:

however a more useful solution (for down the road) might be to add the unit button to the Transform panel so that regardless as to the location of the Transform panel, the unit selection button is always right there and readily available

True, but "down the road" might be years from now, or never, and my suggestion is available today :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

12 hours ago, rusty5 said:

however a more useful solution (for down the road) might be to add the unit button to the Transform panel

Hi @rusty5,

actually I like the idea to have a unit switch in the Transform panel. thanks for coming up with this. I do not mind the units being part of the input field. Though I am with @walt.farrell that it may take time to implement.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil