You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spellcheck underline alert?

Hi,

I appreciate the fact that Affinity Designer has a nice spellcheck features. I sure need it, but sometimes I am using a word that is not recognized as correct spelling but that's the word that needs to be used.

What is the easiest way to deal with this?

My instinct is to right click and dismiss the warning. Another option I have seen in text editors is too right click and add the word to the white list.

The best I can figure out is that I need to open Designer's Text Character dialog and set spell check to "none".

This seems to work, and it seems to just affect the text you have selected so spell check continues to function on other text instances.

Is there a faster way to turn off the warning?

Thank you!

Windows 7 x64 with Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703

10 minutes ago, Otto Manuel said:

My instinct is to right click and dismiss the warning. Another option I have seen in text editors is too right click and add the word to the white list.

Nothing wrong about your instinct from my POV.

learnspelling.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Great news.

The caveat seems to be that you must have ithe text tool instantiated to get to the contextual right click menu that you have pictured.

I looked in the manual before posting here and did not find this info by searching "spell", "spelling" or "spellcheck".

Thank you for your help.

I think what was happening is that the warning does not display until you exit the current text box, which I usually do by instantiating the select tool.

The select tool right click context doesn't offer the spelling options so I missed the pertinent menu.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Otto Manuel said:

I think what was happening is that the warning does not display until you exit the current text box,

In my experience you should get the red underline as soon as you press space or a punctuation key after typing the word.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I defer to you on this.

My experience has been limited to working with single word phrases, so I have not witnessed what happens when you use the space or punctuation characters.

What you describe seems like it is helpful functionality. I am glad to learn about it.

Thank you for sharing the insight.