You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I´m absolutely surprised of this software. So quick, smooth and powerfull. There is only one reason why I can not change Indesign for Publisher :( It´s database publishing. I use "easycatalog" plug-in from 65bit for catalogue production. Implement database publishing like this plug-in and I will immediately change bugy, slow and extremely expansive InDesign change for Publisher :-)

1.9 (now in beta) has implemented a data merge function. Perhaps you could export your database to a format supported by data merge, and work with it that way?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 years later...

Hi, 

We are in the same situation, currently we use Easy Catalog to automate processes on InDesign (via XML / URL import).

This is the only reason why we cannot yet consider replacing InDesign. Is this type of automation available in your application (and in what form), or is it planned in the short / medium term?

Thanks 

2 hours ago, a-c said:

Hi, 

We are in the same situation, currently we use Easy Catalog to automate processes on InDesign (via XML / URL import).

This is the only reason why we cannot yet consider replacing InDesign. Is this type of automation available in your application (and in what form), or is it planned in the short / medium term?

Thanks 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Data Merge in Publisher can use CSV or XLSX files. It cannot use databases directly, and you would have to unload the database into one of the supported flat formats.

Serif generally does not comment on their future plans, so there's no way to know if support for databases will ever be added. My guess is: not anytime soon. However, there is also talk of adding automation capabilities, and if that happens, perhaps there would be some possibilities then for a script that could read a database and pass the data inward to a Data Merge function. Again, we don't know a timeframe or what capabilities will be provided.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I also use Easy Catalog to design our product catalog. Excellent solution, I can't imagine doing a 200 pages product catalog without it. It updates all prices, text, images from the database, and a lot more.

Here is the answer of the editor of this plug-in, 65bit software -> so first it would be necessary that Affinity Publisher accept plug-ins and scripts as they mention it here (I don't know if it is already the case?):

As far as we're aware, there is no plug-in architecture in Affinity Publisher (I'm not sure you can even script it, to be honest), so it's simply not possible at the moment.  I'm guessing it would take a couple of years for us to implement anything if/when a plug-in SDK arrives, so there's nothing on the horizon currently.  We'll obviously keep these plans under review.
Regards,
Ian White
65bit Software Limited