You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Looking forward to switching from Adobe to Affinity, but can't justify the change in our heavy production environment until Publisher supports Span/Split columns.  

Hey Affinity developers!  Is span/split on your drawing boards yet?  If so, let me know.  We'll switch as soon as it's an option.  Sadly, until it is, abandoning Adobe is just a dream.

• 3 weeks later...

Have made the switch but hit this as real problem all the time. Wrecks easy flowing of text when you require a separate box and box breaks to create multicolumn headers.

Please add SPLIT/SPAN

Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB RAM running Sonoma 14.2.1
ASUS ProArt screen and Hewlett Packard HD second screen. 
Affinity Suite 2.4.0 and Beta releases

• 3 months later...

Today I noticed a significant new update — 1.9 has arrived.  Congratulations Affinity team!  Also noticed span/split columns still not offered.  So sad.  

Our publication production house will keep our fingers crossed hoping that the next update will include span/split columns so we'll be able to join the Serif/Affinity family. Until then, alas, it's back to .indd.

Good luck.  Keep up the great work.

On 3/13/2021 at 12:54 AM, iMiek said:

It's a "must-have" for me too. Use it a lot. Span header or title over more columns.

On 3/5/2021 at 2:00 AM, Eink said:

Also noticed span/split columns still not offered.  So sad.  

Just wondering... why not do this with create a new text frame that goes across a page?

On 3/12/2021 at 4:54 PM, iMiek said:

Span header or title over more columns.

Some workarounds with live text in the existing column here:

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2021 at 6:00 PM, Eink said:

Today I noticed a significant new update — 1.9 has arrived.  Congratulations Affinity team!  Also noticed span/split columns still not offered.  So sad.  

Our publication production house will keep our fingers crossed hoping that the next update will include span/split columns so we'll be able to join the Serif/Affinity family. Until then, alas, it's back to .indd.

Good luck.  Keep up the great work.

Hi Eink,
even you are right with this missing feature - better check back with a few real productions before jumping on this train. At the moment there are so many small details unfinished and features missing, I can't really imagine, that a production house would be happy. Just to make clear - I've left Adobe behind (only using Acrobat for print production check). But I'm a solo designer and having not much love left for Adobe. But even then it's very often not very pleasant to work with Publishers faults and bad workflow details.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/15/2021 at 3:19 AM, Jesse Covner said:

Just wondering... why not do this with create a new text frame that goes across a page?

Text flow and Reflow....

See my signature... this is one of the many many things design studios need, need, need, and Serif don't have sight of.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

In our business (publication production) we need to make a lot of changes on the fly with story placement, widths and number of columns.  Split/Span enables us to set an individual story (with headlines, bylines, subheads, etc. as a single object instead of two or three that can be moved and reformatted as needed.  Yes, we could use a separate text box for headlines, of course, but then instead of addressing a story as a single object (as we do today in ID) we have to address each element independently.  Just a bunch of extra steps and time on deadline when time is precious.

Until/unless Split/Span an option in Affinity's Publisher, it's just not a viable option for us.

14 minutes ago, Eink said:

but then instead of addressing ] .... [ as a single object (as we do today in ID) we have to address each element independently.  Just a bunch of extra steps and time on deadline when time is precious.

THIS principle of being able to construct single objects rather than ending up with multiple objects applies more often than many-many grasp. It's what I refer to as 'efficient files' and it's the mainstay of design studio workflows (as illustrated perfectly above by @Eink). It will keep them locked-in to Adobe.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

When I first set up my document template, a few years ago, I made a decision to set up a layout grid on a master frame and use multiple text frames rather than columns. I am glad I did that because spanning columns is not an issue for me. Apologies that my post doesn’t address the issue of this thread but I thought it was worth sharing the point that for me, frames rather than columns allows this flexibility.

9 hours ago, Catshill said:

When I first set up my document template, a few years ago, I made a decision to set up a layout grid on a master frame and use multiple text frames rather than columns. I am glad I did that because spanning columns is not an issue for me. Apologies that my post doesn’t address the issue of this thread but I thought it was worth sharing the point that for me, frames rather than columns allows this flexibility.

Not really. I have a project with each chapter starting on the next Righthand page. This is made possible by using a Paragraph style for the Chapter Names having the Flow option: Start on: set to Next Right hand page. 

The vast bulk of the text is in two columns per page, only the Chapter names are set in one column, centred. I have to use a separate Master/Parent page for the chapter starts. Top half has the centred Chapter name a one column text frame and then a two column text frame linked below it.   If I use your method of having 3 text frames or my method of having 2 text frames I have to have a separate Master/Parent page and apply it.

Being able to have a Paragraph Style that will span all the columns, or a variable number of them, in a Text frame would be great. I would no longer need a separate Master/Parent page for the chapter starts.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

We I think most of us will know what year it is, but thanks for the reminder.

Spanning columns has not been implemented.

You have the decoration right-hand-side set to 0mm relative to the end of the Text, try “Relative to: Column” instead.

Edited by GarryP
Clarification.

Ah, but which calendar are you expecting us in this part of the multiverse to be using?
Here, for instance, it’s the 2022nd year of the New Magnificent Kingdom under the refined Grand Klaxon calendar.
Maybe you’re looking for a different 2022 – they’re using something called the Gregorian Calendar a few universes over to the left, if that helps.

Those “Relative” settings still keep me on my toes because they’re listed in ‘clockwise-order’ rather than keeping Top/Bottom and Left/Right together.

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

they’re using something called the Gregorian Calendar a few universes over to the left, if that helps.

My left or your left? And is left actually a colour?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

14 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

My left or your left?

Neither, as far as I know, it’s more like to the left of the universe itself, or so I’ve heard.

14 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

And is left actually a colour?

I believe it’s more of a feeling than a colour, or maybe something like the taste you get when an old forgotten memory spins slowly in front of the foot of a particularly divisive moot point. But I’m no expert in these matters.

20 hours ago, GarryP said:

We know what year it is

Speak for yourself, Garry! mad.giftongue.gifwhistling.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)