You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher -Typography Panel - Font re-design capabilities

Capture.JPG.15ebcdee9d881efff0d115fa2356ecfa.JPG

Wishing to understand this panel.  After experimenting I understand that certain characters can be manipulated artistically.  After reading the help, well nothing much there unfortunately.  So I have three questions:

1.  What is that SWISH 1 thing?

2.  Why so many "Stylistic sets" repeating the same style?

3.  Is there a way to perhaps know whether a font set has expansive creative abilities, without having to thumb through hundreds of fonts one by one?, For example Ariel has none.  But Gabriola has these as shown. in the screenshot.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

1. Swashes are typographical flourishes such as those swirly things you can have over or under the letters in the Gabriola font.

2. It depends on the characters in the sample, but even in your screenshot there are subtle differences. Look, for example, at the g in SS02 and SS03, or the in SS04 and SS05.

3. One possibility is mentioned in my post here:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Chris26 said:

Wishing to understand this panel.  After experimenting I understand that certain characters can be manipulated artistically.  After reading the help, well nothing much there unfortunately. 

The panel basically exposes variations in the font that the designer of the font created. To understand the capabilities exposed by the panel I think you would need to research the underlying typography functions. For example, by doing an Internet search for Open Typography Features you will find sites such as this one, which explain terminology and the capabilities that the font designers can choose to implement (or not):

https://www.adobe.com/products/type/opentype.html

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Swashes are typographical flourishes such as those swirly things you can have over or under the letters in the Gabriola font.

Well, nothing changes when I click on the swish button, whether it be dafault or swish selected, the various styles of the letter show no changes, which is why I asked what The Swish 1 option is for.  Thankyou for your other answers though, especialy the subtle changes that I did not notice until I enlarged the font a wee bit.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

18 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

the various styles of the letter show no changes

Did you have the letter(s) selected/highlighted? Have you tried a different, more varied, run of text?

The attached is an example from here.

C44C9AE4-3865-482B-895F-CC457C2A9508.png.000a5652ddf86ef15c8c9f529196fef7.png

Alfred spacer.png

30 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Did you have the letter(s) selected/highlighted? Have you tried a different, more varied, run of text?

Sorry Alfred It is possible that you are misunderstanding me.  The letters change most certainly. But I am referring to the dialogue box where it says "Swash 1".  Selecting this and fiddling for ages reveals absolutely no differences with anything when "Default" is selected. 

5 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

Sorry Alfred It is possible that you are misunderstanding me.  The letters change most certainly. But I am referring to the dialogue box where it says "Swash 1".  Selecting this and fiddling for ages reveals absolutely no differences with anything when "Default" is selected. 

Does your font have Swash glyphs?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

47 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Does your font have Swash glyphs?

I understand what glyph is but have no idea what you mean by the question believe it or not.  Here is a short video for you to see what I can not explain.  Also, and just to throw a spanner in the works, you mentioned this:" Have you tried a different, more varied, run of text?  Where you have listed the possibility of selecting more than one set?  Well I can only select one set at a time, so I have no idea what that means either.  Googlingreally does not help otherwise I would not be bothering you.

Lidia Audacity 01.gif

Do you see the little checkbox at the very bottom saying Hide Irrelevant Features. Check it and the features which are unavailable for the font will be removed from the list. Swashes are unavailable for this font, I can tell because nothing is showing on the right side in the swashes section.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Chris26 said:

Where you have listed the possibility of selecting more than one set?  Well I can only select one set at a time, so I have no idea what that means either.

I don’t think it’s more than one set at a time, Chris. I can’t check right now, but I suspect that the glyphs used in the two words ‘Two words’ are from different stylistic sets.

Here’s Blacksword with the Swashes feature set to ‘Default’

1D322F8A-5562-40F8-9A13-0C36308ACA8F.jpeg.d5309f1f5cb7e7fca5640d36dab77717.jpeg

and ‘Swash 1’

B2193E9E-AF2B-45D7-A9FC-A6AFEA54FDCE.jpeg.2f0882b65f198eec1710f6b5951b60f8.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Do you see the little checkbox at the very bottom saying Hide Irrelevant Features. Check it and the features which are unavailable for the font will be removed from the list. Swashes are unavailable for this font, I can tell because nothing is showing on the right side in the swashes section.

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

I don’t think it’s more than one set at a time, Chris. I can’t check right now, but I suspect that the glyphs used in the two words ‘Two words’ are from different stylistic sets.

Here’s Blacksword with the Swashes feature set to ‘Default’

Thankyou old bruce and alfred.

The Gabriola font is an example made by Microsoft showing-off what can be done with OpenType.
So they are pushing the limits, and it is overly complex compared to most fonts.
Swashes in most fonts are a single lookup table to change a single character to the same character with a swash.
In that case you highlight a character and the interface shows you the few options for that particular character.
But in this case the character alternates would be hundreds of characters.
Hard to show in the Topography interface.

Here is the Swash (swsh) OpenType code from Gabriola

Copyright font code removed by moderator

29 subtables!
Each of the "@CG_xx" is a class of characters (a list).
This works out to hundreds of combinations.

This is another case of where a user has no idea of a font's features without extensive documentation.
The only way I can see to use this is to apply it to all the text and see what happens.

So the short answer is the Gabriola swash feature is so complex there is no easy way to display it in the interface.

p.s. APub may have an issue dealing properly with the complexity, but hard to tell without extensive testing, and knowing what the font should be doing.

• Staff

Sorry @LibreTraining, although that did beautifully demonstrate the complexity of this font the code is copyrighted. I'm sure readers of this forum can imagine the code complexity from your excellent description.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 10/31/2020 at 3:40 AM, Patrick Connor said:

Sorry @LibreTraining, although that did beautifully demonstrate the complexity of this font the code is copyrighted. I'm sure readers of this forum can imagine the code complexity from your excellent description.

Hi Patrick,
Sorry, have to disagree with you on this one.
I think this a perfect example of "fair use."
A small snippet of easily available code used to discuss a related issue.
I know you guys are careful here, but I think this is a classic case of fair use with zero potential liability.
And self-censorship "just in case" isn't a good thing.

Update: I was thinking about this a remembered fair use is a USA law, and obviously you are not in the USA. Hmmm. Is there something similar there?