You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to draw a line straight horizontal vertical etc.

in most apps you press shift in A Photo you continue a line ...

how can you draw a straight line?

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design  -  Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen - product:interface:design

Unfortunately that’s not possible at the moment …  :(

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/12616-afp-tools-constrain-brush-movement-clone-selections-with-option-arrow-keys/

But if you just want to create a straight, but not necessarily leveled line, you can click somewhere, hold shift and click elsewhere … both positions will be connected by a straight brush stroke …  :)

I see - oh boy 

Looks to me I have to wait till the software is more mature. This is kinda basic being able to make single straight lines.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design  -  Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen - product:interface:design

Seriously?!?  I can't imagine why anyone would think this is not -critical functionality-.  And it strikes me as pretty easy to code.  

I'd expect to be able to do in Affinity Designer anything I can do in PowerPoint, and this is something I do _all the time_ in PowerPoint graphics.  

Besides adding this to the top of the missing feature list for the next release, it would be A Good Idea to develop a list of functions available in common (low end) drawing programs that are missing from Affinity Designer. 

dave

• Staff

Hello Dave,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can create horizontal/vertical/diagonal 45º lines, with the Pen Tool pressing ⇧ (shift).

This is not available for the Brush tools only. We are aware that some tools/features are still missing. This is the first version. There's still a lot to add/refine/polish.

Please check out Designer and Photo roadmaps for more info on what's coming.

in most apps you press shift in A Photo you continue a line ...

how can you draw a straight line?

Would creating a line using the Pen Tool's Line Mode and then, when the line is selected, choosing a brush type/size work? I was just kinda goofing around getting to know the program and trying to figure out a replacement for Illustrator's Line shape tool (which the Line Mode in AD does, I've now found), and found that I could change the pen stroke to a brush stroke (I think) by choosing either a brush type from the Brushes Studio panel or from the context toolbar (clicking on the stroke size and then clicking on the pen icon in the Style line).