You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adding Curve between 2 other curves

I'm trying to create a curve evenly distributed between two other curves, but can't figure out how to do it in Affinity Designer on my iPad. I've attached an example of what I'm trying to do. I would like to have the red line to be exactly in the middle of the two other black curves.

IMG_1912.JPG.1c6917026827f081c2da04d64f24c3ca.JPG

I'm a little new to Affinity Designer. I know this can be done easily on Illustrator using the Blend Tool, but I don't believe that exists on the iPad version of Affinity Designer. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Edited by emkaebe

• Staff

Hi em.kae.be,
You can try to duplicate one of the lines, give it a large stroke until the part that extends in direction to the center of the two lines gets ...well...centered between them,  then go to menu Layer > Expand Stroke, give a stroke to that expanded shape and remove its fill then break it so you end up with line part that's centered between the original lines. It won't be perfect and you may to tweak it a bit but it's a start. Similar operation can be done with the Contour Tool in v1.9 Beta.

@MEB thank you for the suggestion, I did try that approach initially. In my first attempt the new curve was off by a lot and not close to being in the middle. I was hoping that someone with more talent than me had an easier approach. I guess it's just tweaking a bunch once something close is created. 

Thanks,

-- em.kae.be

I found this discussion because I was looking for the same thing. I was just wanting to put cut lines on an A4 page to cut it evenly into 30 strips. In Illustrator, I'd just draw a 30 row grid with the grid tool, or blend 2 lines across the page with 29 divisions. (30 seconds to do it). Designer has forced me to manually duplicate a line 30 times and then align & distribute them. A real pain, especially since I seem to be constraining my movement to a 15 degree angle and I can't find out how to change my move angle contraint settings.

Anyway, here's a simple work around for your particular challenge. It uses the appearance panel to layer multiple strokes on each other. I made a video because it's a mission to try explain it.

On 10/30/2020 at 9:00 AM, Stephen_H said:

I found this discussion because I was looking for the same thing. I was just wanting to put cut lines on an A4 page to cut it evenly into 30 strips. In Illustrator, I'd just draw a 30 row grid with the grid tool, or blend 2 lines across the page with 29 divisions. (30 seconds to do it). Designer has forced me to manually duplicate a line 30 times and then align & distribute them. A real pain, especially since I seem to be constraining my movement to a 15 degree angle and I can't find out how to change my move angle contraint settings.

Anyway, here's a simple work around for your particular challenge. It uses the appearance panel to layer multiple strokes on each other. I made a video because it's a mission to try explain it.

2020-10-30-10-47-35.avi 54.65 MB · 5 downloads

Use the guide manager and enter directly the number of rows you require as a start perhaps?

Alternatively use Power Duplicate and the transform studio for exact measurements and angles.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help