You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(b.822) data merge: double click does not add field

Sorry, I'm not sure if this has ever worked like I think it should – obviously some people have already managed to successfully do a data merge, so...

I have

• a .csv file with headers called <name> <phone> ...
  • a document with prepared text "<name>, <phone>"
  • opened the data merge manager
  • opened the fields panel
  • set up all so that the datasets are correctly displayed in the fields panel

If I press "generate" I get a new document with as many pages as my datasets but the text is still <name> <phone>

I "accidentally" recognised the small grey text "double click field name to insert" but double clicking doesn't do anything... also no right click-menu or anything suggesting how I could mark my prepared text as "fields"

How do you do it??

523545860_Bildschirmfoto2020-10-28um18_14_13.png.a81fb383ec90b4599a968b9ee8c618c1.png

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

@anon2 Thank You so much!

Strange tho, that it does not work, if you have selected a word to be replaced by the double-clicked field. In this stage as a beta feature, this is very counter-intuitive. 

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

• 4 weeks later...

hi !

i'm very interested in this new data merge feature which i commonly use with indesign to automate the creation of a big catalog, but now i'm stuck on affinity. I can't find the window "fields". Is there a manual for the new features of the beta versions?

Thank's

Christian

6 minutes ago, notabene34 said:

hi !

i'm very interested in this new data merge feature which i commonly use with indesign to automate the creation of a big catalog, but now i'm stuck on affinity. I can't find the window "fields". Is there a manual for the new features of the beta versions?

Thank's

Christian

There's no documentation for data merge yet. View > Studio > Fields.

On 10/29/2020 at 8:56 AM, woefi said:

Strange tho, that it does not work, if you have selected a word to be replaced by the double-clicked field. In this stage as a beta feature, this is very counter-intuitive. 

That's working in beta 1.9.0.850

Yes that's working in beta 1.9.0.850 on Mac, but remember to select the field where you want to insert the variable data with the text tool, if you select it with the pointer tool and then click on the "Double click on field name to insert" in the Data Merge panel, it does not work.

5 minutes ago, rizzosan67 said:

Yes that's working in beta 1.9.0.850 on Mac, but remember to select the field where you want to insert the variable data with the text tool, if you select it with the pointer tool and then click on the "Double click on field name to insert" in the Data Merge panel, it does not work.

To replace a word in a text object with a field, the word must be highlighted. A word can only be highlighted when a text tool is active, and therefore the field name must be double-clicked with a text tool.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.