You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

print dialog closes after OK but doesn't print

Using Photo version 1.8.5.703 on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

After I pull up the Print dialog, set my choices, and click OK, the dialog closes but the print preview window doesn't come up (and the printer doesn't print). There's nothing pending in the printer, it just doesn't seem to do anything except close the dialog when I click OK. I pull up the dialog again, click OK again, and it might print fine or I might have to do it all again. There's no multiple printing going on, no buffering of the "OK" keystroke, it just doesn't seem to "take" when I click OK.

You might want to check the appropriate Win printer queue,  if there are passed over any print jobs at all then. - If nothing ever gets there into the printer queue, it's probably an Affinity Win communication problem to access the coresponding Win print driver correctly over the Win services.

Do other apps can print without problems?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

You might want to check the appropriate Win printer queue,  if there are passed over any print jobs at all then. - If nothing ever gets there into the printer queue, it's probably an Affinity Win communication problem to access the coresponding Win print driver correctly over the Win services.

Do other apps can print without problems?

When it happens there is nothing in the queue.

As far as other apps, I tried 6 other apps 2 or 3 times each with no problems. But I've just now been trying to make a print on AP and not only did it take 4 or 5 times before it would print, I also had trouble getting the Print dialog to respond to clicking on Fit Type and Orientation; it's not just the OK button.

Edited by ncJohn
took time to check other apps

• Staff
3 hours ago, BofG said:

It's been reported in the bug section before by another user, and I added my feedback there. Whether it's actually being looked into I don't know.

Hi @BofG,

Could you link me to that post?  I've tried searching but haven't been able to find it so suspect i'm not using the correct keywords to find it.  But i'll be able to see whats happening with the report and update here :) 

I have been experiencing the same issue with Publisher. Click OK, print dialog closes, but no printing.

After doing a lot of troubleshooting and printing selected pages, at least twice I have narrowed it down to a font the Publisher doesn't like. If it is present in the page range being printed, nothing prints. If it is deleted, printing happens as usual.

So far I have identified two fonts: "Aleo Bold" (even though all other variations work) and "Heydings Icons".

I even tried the same experiment printing to the Adobe PDF printer, and that produces an error log instead of a file.

• 5 months later...