You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Illustrator Import Loses Content

Hello,

New user here.  I'm switching to Affinity Designer from Illustrator CS3.  I mainly use Illustrator to design woodworking projects---toy trucks for my toddler.   My files consist entirely of simple shapes with plain outlines.  I noticed when importing some of my files that content that was hidden in Illustrator or content that was moved off of the artboard didn't get imported.  I tried "show all" and select all, and looked in the layers window, but it's clearly just not in the document.  When I modified my AI files (unhid objects and moved them back to the artboard) everything showed up in Affinity Designer, so I'm good, but it would be nice if this was fixed.

Thanks,

Ken

• Staff

Hi @Ken Kopecky and Welcome to the Forums,

With AI files, we have to read the embedded PDF data, so if something is off the page in AI, that won't be part of the PDF stream that is also included in the AI file.  With the hidden layers, PDFs from my understanding don't support them so they also aren't included in the PDF stream which is what we are reading.

15 hours ago, Ken Kopecky said:

New user here.  I'm switching to Affinity Designer from Illustrator CS3.  I mainly use Illustrator to design woodworking projects---toy trucks for my toddler.   My files consist entirely of simple shapes with plain outlines.  I noticed when importing some of my files that content that was hidden in Illustrator or content that was moved off of the artboard didn't get imported.  I tried "show all" and select all, and looked in the layers window, but it's clearly just not in the document.  When I modified my AI files (unhid objects and moved them back to the artboard) everything showed up in Affinity Designer, so I'm good, but it would be nice if this was fixed.

Hello @Ken Kopecky and welcome to the forum.

AD does not import AI files as such but only the PDF part of those files. I may be wrong with my assumption, but by hiding objects in AI or moving them outside an artboard they are moved by AI out of the PDF part of the file. Then AD cannot import this content because it is not there.

You could try this by putting some of the content on a seperate artboard just for that purpous (moving it away from your design) and see if the content then shows up in AD.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 7:45 PM, Ken Kopecky said:

Thank you both for the quick responses.  That makes a lot of sense--I didn't realize the AI format had embedded PDF data in it.  

Just make sure your turn on "Create PDF compatible file" when you save your Illustrator files or else it might not import correctly.

image.png.43f7d0fda65bf90db6032901e92f3232.png

It is on by default, but you never know...